Error when building root from source

I’m building ROOT from source inside a virtual machine running Elementary OS Herra. I’ve done this before without issue, but now it stops at 76% and throws the error:

Value.cpp:(.text._ZN4llvm5Value7setNameERKNS_5TwineE+0x1d): undefined reference to `llvm::Function::recalculateIntrinsicID()'
../../interpreter/llvm/src/lib/libLLVMCore.a(Value.cpp.o): In function `llvm::Value::takeName(llvm::Value*)':
Value.cpp:(.text._ZN4llvm5Value8takeNameEPS0_+0x47d): undefined reference to `llvm::Function::recalculateIntrinsicID()'
../../interpreter/llvm/src/lib/libLLVMCore.a(Value.cpp.o): In function `llvm::Value::deleteValue()':
Value.cpp:(.text._ZN4llvm5Value11deleteValueEv+0x171): undefined reference to `llvm::Function::~Function()'
/usr/bin/ld: src/rootcling_stage1: hidden symbol `_ZN4llvm12BranchFolderC1EbbRNS0_11MBFIWrapperERKNS_28MachineBranchProbabilityInfoEj' isn't defined
/usr/bin/ld: final link failed: Bad value
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
core/rootcling_stage1/CMakeFiles/rootcling_stage1.dir/build.make:229: recipe for target 'core/rootcling_stage1/src/rootcling_stage1' failed
make[2]: *** [core/rootcling_stage1/src/rootcling_stage1] Error 1
CMakeFiles/Makefile2:20174: recipe for target 'core/rootcling_stage1/CMakeFiles/rootcling_stage1.dir/all' failed
make[1]: *** [core/rootcling_stage1/CMakeFiles/rootcling_stage1.dir/all] Error 2
Makefile:151: recipe for target 'all' failed
make: *** [all] Error 2

Hi,
how are you configuring the build? Are you trying to use an external LLVM (in which case, it might not have the right version)?

Cheers,
Enrico

I’m on a clean install of Elementary OS Herra, with the latest stable ROOT release. I followed these steps exactly:

1. cd $HOME
  2. mkdir Root
  3. cp Downloads/root_v6.20.04.source.tar.gz Cern_Root/
  4. cd Root
  5. tar -zxvf root_v6.20.04.source.tar.gz
  6. cd root-6-20-04
  7. mkdir root-build
  8. mkdir root-install
  9. cd root-build
  10. cmake …
  11. cmake -Dall=on .
  12. cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=~/Root/root-6-20-04/root-install .
  13. make -j2

Thank you!

Uhmm the instructions look ok. Could it be the virtual machine runs out of RAM during compilation? I’m mentioning it because your commands look fine, your error seems to suggest that something went wrong when compiling cling, and linking cling is the ROOT compilation step that requires the most RAM.

Cheers,
Enrico

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.