Error when building root 6.26/06 on MacOS Monterey 12.5

ROOT Version: 6.26/06 (attempted installation)
Platform: MacOS Monterey 12.5
Compiler: clang-1316.0.21.2.5

I tried to build ROOT from source on my device and received the following error output:

[ 75%] Generating G__Core.cxx, ../lib/Core.pcm
While building module 'Core':
While building module 'std' imported from input_line_1:1:
While building module 'Darwin' imported from /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/../include/c++/v1/ctype.h:38:
In file included from <module-includes>:1421:
In file included from /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX12.3.sdk/usr/include/ncurses.h:141:
/opt/local/include/unctrl.h:61:38: error: cannot initialize a variable of type 'char *' with an lvalue of type 'char *(chtype)' (aka 'char *(unsigned int)')
NCURSES_EXPORT(NCURSES_CONST char *) NCURSES_SP_NAME(unctrl) (SCREEN*, chtype);
                                     ^               ~~~~~~
/opt/local/include/unctrl.h:61:61: error: expected ';' after top level declarator
NCURSES_EXPORT(NCURSES_CONST char *) NCURSES_SP_NAME(unctrl) (SCREEN*, chtype);
                                                            ^
While building module 'std' imported from input_line_1:1:
In file included from <module-includes>:2:
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/../include/c++/v1/ctype.h:38:15: fatal error: could not build module 'Darwin'
#include_next <ctype.h>
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~^
input_line_1:1:10: fatal error: could not build module 'std'
#include <new>
 ~~~~~~~~^
Warning in cling::IncrementalParser::CheckABICompatibility():
  Failed to extract C++ standard library version.
Warning in cling::IncrementalParser::CheckABICompatibility():
  Possible C++ standard library mismatch, compiled with _LIBCPP_ABI_VERSION '1'
  Extraction of runtime standard library version was: ''
While building module 'Cling_Runtime' imported from input_line_2:1:
While building module 'Cling_Runtime_Extra' imported from /Users/user/Documents/Software/root-6.26.06-build/etc/cling/Interpreter/RuntimeUniverse.h:27:
In file included from <module-includes>:1:
/Users/user/Documents/Software/root-6.26.06-build/etc/cling/Interpreter/DynamicExprInfo.h:13:10: fatal error: could not build module 'std'
#include <string>
 ~~~~~~~~^
/Users/user/Documents/Software/root-6.26.06-build/etc/cling/Interpreter/RuntimeUniverse.h:27:10: fatal error: could not build module 'Cling_Runtime_Extra'
#include "cling/Interpreter/Visibility.h"
 ~~~~~~~~^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
While building module '_Builtin_intrinsics':
In file included from /Users/user/Documents/Software/root-6.26.06-build/etc/cling/lib/clang/9.0.1/include/arm_acle.h:17:
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/../include/c++/v1/stdint.h:123:15: fatal error: could not build module 'Darwin'
#include_next <stdint.h>
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~^
<<< cling interactive line includer >>>: fatal error: could not build module '_Builtin_intrinsics'
Error: Module '_Builtin_intrinsics' failed to load.
While building module 'ROOT_Rtypes' imported from /Users/user/Documents/Software/root-6.26.06-build/include/Rtypes.h:23:
In file included from /Users/user/Documents/Software/root-6.26.06-build/include/RtypesCore.h:23:
/Users/user/Documents/Software/root-6.26.06-build/include/ROOT/RConfig.hxx:279:13: fatal error: could not build module 'Darwin'
#   include <AvailabilityMacros.h>
    ~~~~~~~~^
While building module 'ROOT_Rtypes' imported from /Users/user/Documents/Software/root-6.26.06-build/include/Rtypes.h:23:
While building module 'ROOT_Config' imported from /Users/user/Documents/Software/root-6.26.06-build/include/RtypesCore.h:25:
In file included from /Users/user/Documents/Software/root-6.26.06-build/include/RConfig.h:23:
/Users/user/Documents/Software/root-6.26.06-build/include/ROOT/RConfig.hxx:279:13: fatal error: could not build module 'Darwin'
#   include <AvailabilityMacros.h>
    ~~~~~~~~^
While building module 'ROOT_Foundation_C' imported from /Users/user/Documents/Software/root-6.26.06-build/include/Rtypes.h:29:
In file included from /Users/user/Documents/Software/root-6.26.06-build/include/ThreadLocalStorage.h:57:
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/../include/c++/v1/stddef.h:45:15: fatal error: could not build module 'Darwin'
#include_next <stddef.h>
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~^
While building module 'ROOT_Foundation_Stage1_NoRTTI' imported from /Users/user/Documents/Software/root-6.26.06-build/include/Rtypes.h:195:
/Users/user/Documents/Software/root-6.26.06-build/include/ROOT/RStringView.hxx:25:10: fatal error: could not build module 'std'
#include <string_view>
 ~~~~~~~~^
Error: Error loading the default rootcling header files.
make[2]: *** [core/G__Core.cxx] Error 1
make[1]: *** [core/CMakeFiles/G__Core.dir/all] Error 2
make[1]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
[ 75%] Built target Cling
make: *** [all] Error 2

My system and xcode are all up to date, and I use the usual cmake commands to build and install it. Judging by the error output, it seems there is an issue with the C++ standard, but I tried already to set it to 17 via the CXX_STANDARD flag. I also removed all build files before attempting this. Does anyone know where this error may come from? Any help would be appreciated, thanks a lot in advance.

Hi @eska ,

thank you for your report. I have never seen this error. It mentions MacOSX12.3.sdk but you mentioned you are on 12.5, could there be a compiler toolchain/MacOS version mismatch there?

If not, maybe @vvassilev or @Axel have an idea about what’s going wrong with the std module.

As a side note, usually you don’t need to build ROOT from source but you can grab one of our pre-compiled binaries, see Installing ROOT - ROOT .

Cheers,
Enrico

Hi Enrico,

Thanks a lot for the fast reply! I see what you mean. But checking on the xcode support page, it seems that this is the maximum SDK version I can have with the latest xcode version.

I actually have been using a precompiled version on my Mac so far, but lately I’ve run into issues that I couldn’t solve. The most pressing one was that I couldn’t use the TSpectrum module, so I was hoping that building from scratch would allow me to explicitly enforce that spectrum is included in the root libraries.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Apologies for the late reply: this is caused by Homebrew’s /opt/local/include/unctrl.h being incompatible with Xcode. The only work-around I am aware of is

sudo mv /opt/local/include /opt/local/include-homebrew-out-of-the-way`

This topic was automatically closed after 13 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

Copying the terminal output and what I used for CMake here:

The version that I have downloaded that I use right now is “macOS 12.4 arm64 Xcode 13” from the 6.26/06 release (I believe arm64 is the right choice since I have an M1 CPU). It does seem like TSpectrum somehow exists in my ROOT installation, since I can run macros that use TSpectrum, but when I try to use compiled code, I get the following error message:

Undefined symbols for architecture arm64:
  "TSpectrum::TSpectrum(int, double)", referenced from:
      _main in mainfile.cpp.o
ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture arm64
clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
make[2]: *** [mainfile] Error 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/mainfile.dir/all] Error 2

The ROOT-relevant lines in my CMakeList.txt file:

set(CMAKE_MODULE_PATH $ENV{ROOTSYS}/cmake/ ${CMAKE_MODULE_PATH})
list(APPEND CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH $ENV{ROOTSYS})

find_package(ROOT REQUIRED)
include_directories($ENV{ROOTSYS}/include/root /Users/user/Documents/Software/boost_1_79_0)
message(STATUS "ROOT will be used: $ENV{ROOTSYS}")

SET(LD_LIBRARY_PATH ${LD_LIBRARY_PATH} ${ROOT_LIBRARY_DIR})

target_link_libraries(mainfile ${ROOT_LIBRARIES} Spectrum)

which now leads to the following terminal output:

Consolidate compiler generated dependencies of target mainfile
[ 33%] Linking CXX executable mainfile
ld: library not found for -lSpectrum
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/mainfile.dir/all] Error 2

Also, before I compile, I have a bash script to set the environment with the following lines:

source /opt/local/libexec/root6/bin/thisroot.sh
PATH=/opt/local/libexec/root6/include/root:${PATH}
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/local/libexec/root6/lib/root:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}

The libSpectrum related entries in /opt/local/libexec/root6/lib/root are:

/opt/local/libexec/root6/lib/root/libSpectrum.6.26.04.so	
/opt/local/libexec/root6/lib/root/libSpectrumPainter.6.26.04.so	
/opt/local/libexec/root6/lib/root/libSpectrumPainter_rdict.pcm
/opt/local/libexec/root6/lib/root/libSpectrum.6.26.so		
/opt/local/libexec/root6/lib/root/libSpectrumPainter.6.26.so	
/opt/local/libexec/root6/lib/root/libSpectrum_rdict.pcm
/opt/local/libexec/root6/lib/root/libSpectrum.rootmap		
/opt/local/libexec/root6/lib/root/libSpectrumPainter.rootmap
/opt/local/libexec/root6/lib/root/libSpectrum.so		
/opt/local/libexec/root6/lib/root/libSpectrumPainter.so

If you need more info, please let me know!

what is the failing link line? It seems to be missing -L /opt/local/libexec/root6/lib/root

(Sorry for the reupload) When I use the verbose, I get the following:

[ 33%] Linking CXX executable mainfile
/Applications/CMake.app/Contents/bin/cmake -E cmake_link_script CMakeFiles/mainfile.dir/link.txt --verbose=TRUE
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/c++  -arch arm64 -isysroot /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX12.3.sdk -Wl,-search_paths_first -Wl,-headerpad_max_install_names CMakeFiles/mainfile.dir/mainfile.cpp.o CMakeFiles/mainfile.dir/src/ConfigFileParser.cpp.o -o mainfile  -Wl,-rpath,/opt/local/libexec/root6/lib/root /opt/local/libexec/root6/lib/root/libCore.so /opt/local/libexec/root6/lib/root/libImt.so /opt/local/libexec/root6/lib/root/libRIO.so /opt/local/libexec/root6/lib/root/libNet.so /opt/local/libexec/root6/lib/root/libHist.so /opt/local/libexec/root6/lib/root/libGraf.so /opt/local/libexec/root6/lib/root/libGraf3d.so /opt/local/libexec/root6/lib/root/libGpad.so /opt/local/libexec/root6/lib/root/libROOTDataFrame.so /opt/local/libexec/root6/lib/root/libTree.so /opt/local/libexec/root6/lib/root/libTreePlayer.so /opt/local/libexec/root6/lib/root/libRint.so /opt/local/libexec/root6/lib/root/libPostscript.so /opt/local/libexec/root6/lib/root/libMatrix.so /opt/local/libexec/root6/lib/root/libPhysics.so /opt/local/libexec/root6/lib/root/libMathCore.so /opt/local/libexec/root6/lib/root/libThread.so /opt/local/libexec/root6/lib/root/libMultiProc.so /opt/local/libexec/root6/lib/root/libROOTVecOps.so -lSpectrum 
ld: library not found for -lSpectrum

What happens if you use:

target_link_libraries(mainfile ${ROOT_LIBRARIES} ROOT::Spectrum)

?

Fantastic, this did it!! Thanks a lot!