Error: Symbol null is not defined in current scope

dear ROOT users,

i’m using 2 versions of ROOT, 5.08 on the workgroupserver, and 5.14 on the desktop. i have 2 classes, inherited from TSelector, precompiled in .rootlogon.C :

[line 49] gROOT->ProcessLine(".x [path]/NCselektor.cpp+");
[line 50] gROOT->ProcessLine(".x [path]/LoopSelektor.cpp+");

it works fine on the server, but only 1 of the 2 classes compiles on the desktop. the error message goes:

Error: Symbol null is not defined in current scope /home/wlasenek/.rootlogon.C:50:
*** Interpreter error recovered ***
(class NCselektor)146753240

what can this error message mean ?
thanks in advance !
michal

Try:[line 49] gROOT->ProcessLine(".L [path]/NCselektor.cpp+"); [line 50] gROOT->ProcessLine(".L [path]/LoopSelektor.cpp+");since you do not want to execute those files, just compile and load then.

Cheers,
Philippe

hi,

thanks for the suggestion.
it’s not rally what i wanted though. it’d be more comfortable to keep the old functionality. does anyone have an idea how to interpret the error message:

Error: Symbol null is not defined in current scope /home/wlasenek/.rootlogon.C:50:
*** Interpreter error recovered ***
(class NCselektor)146753240

cheers,
michal

Hi,
did you try what Philippe told you to change? From what you explained it looks as if “.x” is simply wrong. If you believe you know what you’re doing we need the file LoopSelektor.cpp; please attach.
Axel.

[quote] it’d be more comfortable to keep the old functionality[/quote]Which functionality are you referring to?As far as I know gROOT->ProcessLine(".x [path]/NCselektor.cpp+"); would be the same as

gROOT->ProcessLine(".L [path]/NCselektor.cpp+"); NCSelector();and I don’t see why you would want to keep the last line (which create and then destroy a NCSelector object).

Cheers,
Philippe

dear ROOTers,

thanks for your tips. the solution:

[gROOT->ProcessLine(".L [path]/NCselektor.cpp+");
NCSelector();]

still didn’t work in version 5.14. i went back to 5.12 (excluding xrootd, which didn’t wanna compile under suse10.1, gcc 4.1.0), and everything woirks now.

cheers,
michal[/code]