Error installing ROOT 6.x on Mac OS X 10.11

I am trying to install ROOT 6.x on Mac OS X 10.11.

There was nothing wrong when compiling and some of the function is still working. However, I keep receiving the error messages when using root like:

For example, when I open root in terminal:[code]Awen-Mac:~ awen$ root

| Welcome to ROOT 6.06/02 http://root.cern.ch |
| © 1995-2014, The ROOT Team |
| Built for macosx64 |
| From heads/master@v6-07-02-437-gb06340c, Mar 02 2016, 19:01:57 |

Try ‘.help’, ‘.demo’, ‘.license’, ‘.credits’, ‘.quit’/’.q’

Error in TFile::TFile: file Applications/ROOT/lib/libMathCore_rdict.pcm does not exist
root [0][/code]
I can actually find these *_rdict.pcm files in the lib folder but it is all gibberish inside:[code]Awen-Mac:ROOT awen$ vim lib/libMathCore_rdict.pcm

root^@^@▒^@^@^@d^@^@^A▒^@^@^A▒^@^@^@E^@^@^@^A^@^@^@V^D^@^@^@^A^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^^
@^Ac▒4r▒^R^Q▒~W^We^A▒▒▒^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@@
^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@~R^@^D^@^@^@WT▒^DP^@;^@^A^@^@^@d^@^@^@^@^ETFile^Ylib/libMathCore_rdict.pcm^@^Ylib/libMathCore_rdict.pcm^@^@^ET▒^DPT▒^DP^@^@^@y^@^@^@V^@^@^@d^@^@^@^@^@^@^A:^@^Ac▒4r▒^R^Q▒~W^We^A▒▒▒^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@D^@^D^^
@^@^@
T▒^DP^@:^@^A^@^@^@▒^@^@^@d^GTObject^EEMPTY^QBasic ROOT object^@^A^@^@^@^@^B^@^@^@^@^@^@y^@^D^@^@^@>T▒^DP^@;^@^A^@^@^A:^@^@^@d^ETFile^Ylib/libMathCore_rdict.pcm^@^@^@^@^A^@^@^@D^@^D^@^@^@
T▒^DP^@:^@^A^@^@^@▒^@^@^@d^GTObject^EEMPTY^QBasic ROOT object^@^@^@E^@^D^@^@^@
T▒^DP^@;^@^A^@^@^A▒^@^@^@d^ETFile^Ylib/libMathCore_rdict.pcm^@^@^A^@^@^A▒w5~T^@
[/code]
Is it normal? How can I fix it? Thanks.

Hi,

the pcm files are special ROOT files: it is normal that they are in binary format.
This looks like an environment misconfiguration: we’ll find out - your platform is very widespread and tested.
Is this the only ROOT version on your system?
How did you build ROOT?

Cheers,
Danilo

Thank you for your reply.

I had never installed ROOT on this Mac before this, but I’ve tried to install ROOT 6.x many times in many different ways to solve this problem.
I tried to build it from both binary and source distributions of v6.06.02:[ul]li root_v6.06.02.source.tar.gz[/li]
[li](OsX 10.11 clang70) root_v6.06.02.macosx64-10.11-clang70.dmg[/li][/ul]But I didn’t forget to remove the versions previously installed.

Thanks.

Hi,

About the sources:
How did you configure and build (Cmake command)? Are there any warnings during cofiguration?

About the dmg:
Did you source the thisroot.©sh script after installing? Do you have anything else in your LD_LIBRARY_PATH or PATH?

Cheers,
Danilo

[quote=“dpiparo”]
About the sources:
How did you configure and build (Cmake command)? Are there any warnings during cofiguration?
[/quote]I use the classic “./configure;make” and I didn’t see any warning during configuration. Please find attached the config.log.

[quote=“dpiparo”]
About the dmg:
Did you source the thisroot.©sh script after installing? Do you have anything else in your LD_LIBRARY_PATH or PATH?[/quote]
I did source the thisroot.sh. Here are some related environment variables and I hope this helps:

Awen-Mac:~ awen$ echo $ROOTSYS
//Applications/ROOT
Awen-Mac:~ awen$ echo $PATH
/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin://Applications/ROOT/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin://
Awen-Mac:~ awen$ echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
//Applications/ROOT/lib:/

config.log.txt (185 KB)

This looks all fine.
What happens if you use CMake? Still no warning during build or confogure?

Cheers,
D

Thanks for your advice.
I tried cmake and I got some warnings this time but I don’t know what it means.
Can you help me to check? Thanks.
CMakeOutput.log.txt (196 KB)
CMakeError.log.txt (25.4 KB)

Did you install the latest Xcode?

I believe I do.

Awen-Mac:~ awen$ xcodebuild -version Xcode 7.2.1 Build version 7C1002 Awen-Mac:~ awen$ xcode-select -version xcode-select version 2343.

There are errors in the files you attach that suggest some sort of misconfiguration

/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/cc -m64 
pipe -W -Wall -fsigned-char -fno-common -Qunused-arguments -pthread -Wno-comment -Wno-unused
parameter -Wno-conditional-uninitialized -Wno-parentheses-equality -Wno-unused-private-field -o
CMakeFiles/cmTC_6656e.dir/CheckIncludeFile.c.o -c
//Applications/ROOT/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp/CheckIncludeFile.c
//Applications/ROOT/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp/CheckIncludeFile.c:1:10: fatal error: 'malloc.h' file not
found
#include <malloc.h>

Are you able to compile simple programs? Do you specify somehow the compiler?

I don’t know exactly what you mean, but I tried to compile a simple code with malloc.h

This doesn’t work:

#include <malloc.h> int main(){ return 0; } Awen-Mac:~ awen$ gcc test.c test.c:2:10: fatal error: 'malloc.h' file not found #include <malloc.h> ^ 1 error generated.
But this works:

#include <malloc/malloc.h> int main(){ return 0; } Awen-Mac:~ awen$ gcc test.c Awen-Mac:~ awen$
I hope it helps.

How did you invoked cmake (commandline)?
Is it possible that you have some other compiler installations performed with fink/brew or alike?

I install ROOT with Homebrew this time and it works!
Although I’m still very curious what was going on, thank you for your assistance anyway.
Sincerely,
Awen