Error in <TTreeFormula::Compile>: Bad numerical expression : "bifTime"

I have 4 existing branch variables: bif_nTrigger, bif_source, bif_BXID and bif_Time. The first three are integers, the last one is a float. The last three variables all depend on the first, bif_nTrigger. These have all been initialized properly.

I am trying to implement a for loop that will trim two of the variables, bif_Time and bif_BXID, according to whether the value of bif_source is equal to 3. This code is successfully done in python the following way:

# loop for bif_nTrigger times,  if bif_source[i] equals 3, read bifTime and bunchcrossingID from this source.

for i in range(0, bif_nTrigger):
            if bif_source[i] == 3:
                bifTime = bif_Time[i]
                bxID = bif_BXID[i] % 2

I am trying to adapt it to C, but I keep getting the following errors:
Error in TTreeFormula::Compile: Bad numerical expression : “bifTime”
Error in TTreeFormula::Compile: Bad numerical expression : “bxID”

My code is as follows:

int bxID;
 float bifTime;

for (int i = 0; i = bif_nTrigger; ++i) {
      if (bif_source[i] == 3) {
               bifTime = bif_Time[i];
               bxID = bif_BXID[i] %2;
        }
  }

I am very new to C and so I can’t seem to figure out what the error is caused by. Any help would be much appreciated!

ROOT Version: 5.28
Platform: C
Compiler: gcc ?

Hi Aveen,

first off, you have a mistake in the for loop:

for (int i = 0; i = bif_nTrigger; ++i) {

should be replaced with

for (int i = 0; i < bif_nTrigger; ++i) {

Thanks for pointing that out, just changed it.
It still does not fix the error I am getting however, any other ideas?

I guess I need to see more of your code to figure out what’s happening.

Hi,
I might be wrong (@pcanal can confirm/deny) but I don’t think TTreeFormula supports variable definitions like that? I think that’s what the error complains about.

I suggest you don’t pass your code as a TTreeFormula but actually read and process data with full C++ so you have no limitations in terms of the syntax/types/language features you can use (see e.g. this post for a list of interfaces ROOT offers to read and process TTree data.

Cheers,
Enrico

Correct. In first approximation TTreeFormula can only handle numerical expression using (implicitly defined) variables named after the branches.

1 Like