Error in <TBranch::TBranch::WriteBasketImpl>: basket's WriteBuffer failed, Transport endpoint is not connected

Hello,
I am trying to run my analysis code on lxplus, using the ROOT version mounted on cvmfs and it is working fine for all the samples except for one. I am getting the following error -

which root - /cvmfs/atlas.cern.ch/repo/sw/software/21.2/AnalysisBaseExternals/21.2.102/InstallArea/x86_64-centos7-gcc8-opt/bin/root

Error in TBranchElement::Fill: Failed filling branch:muType, nbytes=-1
Error in TTree::Fill: Failed filling branch:ttbar__Nominal.muType, nbytes=-1, entry=8581
This error is symptomatic of a Tree created as a memory-resident Tree
Instead of doing:
TTree *T = new TTree(…)
TFile *f = new TFile(…)
you should do:
TFile *f = new TFile(…)
TTree *T = new TTree(…)
Error in TBranchElement::TBranch::WriteBasketImpl: basket’s WriteBuffer failed.
Error in TBranchElement::TBranch::Fill: Failed to write out basket.

After it finished running, unfortunately the terminal stops working. If I try to do ll, it says the following -
ls: cannot open directory .: Transport endpoint is not connected

I am not sure what is causing the issue, I do have enough memory space and I have run the same code on the same sample, a week ago, and it was just fine.

Thank you !

As the message is hinting, it is very likely that the code is inadvertently trying to write the TTree to either the wrong file or keeping it in memory (and running out of memory).

Please examine the code and check that the TTree is either created after the TFile for the output file or explicitly associated with the output file (via a call to SetDirectory).

1 Like

Hello @pcanal,
Thank you for the reply. I ran the code on another sample and it is working okay. Now, I see a different/related error to this -

SysError in TFile::ReadBuffer: error reading from file /eos/user/s/ssaha/ttbar_ttX_elec_origin_samples/user.ssaha.ttbar_mc16a.410472.e6348_s3126_r9364_p3983_v3.1_systSet1_t2_tree.root/user.ssaha.21673203._000003.tree.root (Transport endpoint is not connected)

Error in TBranch::GetBasket: File: /eos/user/s/ssaha/ttbar_ttX_elec_origin_samples/user.ssaha.ttbar_mc16a.410472.e6348_s3126_r9364_p3983_v3.1_systSet1_t2_tree.root/user.ssaha.21673203._000003.tree.root at byte:0, branch:trigWeight_singleMuonTrig, entry:0, badread=1, nerrors=1, basketnumber=0

Error in TBasket::Streamer: The value of fNbytes is incorrect (-1479587005) ; trying to recover by setting it to zero

Error in TBasket::Streamer: The value of fIOBits (00000000000000000000000001011000) contains unknown flags (supported flags are 00000000000000000000000000000001), indicating this was written with a newer version of ROOT utilizing critical IO features this version of ROOT does not support. Refusing to deserialize.

I am trying to see, if this is my setup environment which is causing the issue and the ROOT version is causing the issue ? The trees are filled fine in the other samples I am running on.

Thanks !
Best,
Shreya

This error is ‘fatal’ and seems to be a problem with EOS itself (it can’t read the file).

Hello @pcanal,
Yes, it seems EOS is not working properly as I keep on getting the Transport endpoint error. I am re-downloading the files and trying to recompile the code in afs instead.

Thanks !
Best,
Shreya

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.