Error in installing Root 6.24.04 on Ubuntu 16.04

Dear Experts,

I am trying to install Root 6.24.04 as I want to use the recently added RooHypatia2 function and I am getting the following error after the command cmake --build . – -j4

When i do ccmake I see the following message:

CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:14 (cmake_minimum_required):
CMake 3.9 or higher is required. You are running version 3.5.1

But when I do cmake --version, I get:

cmake version 3.9.1

CMake suite maintained and supported by Kitware (kitware.com/cmake).

Please help me sort this.

P.S.: I have Root 5.34/38 installed and it is working fine.

Please read tips for efficient and successful posting and posting code

ROOT Version: Not Provided
Platform: Not Provided
Compiler: Not Provided

It’s probably easier to just download the ROOT pre-compiled binaries for Ubuntu 16.04, or resort to other possible options (Docker, Conda, Snap)

The version of CMake provided by Ubuntu’s repositories in 16.04 is supposed to be 3.5, I’m unsure as to why ccmake reports different, but if you really wanted to push on with compiling your own version you’d need to upgrade your CMake installation. The easiest way to do this would likely to be use snap, the cmake snap comes directly from the CMake authors themselves.

sudo apt remove cmake && sudo snap install cmake --classic

You could make use of CMake’s own Apt repository with the instructions here but the snap cmake should work exactly the same but be easier to install since snap is a default component in Ubuntu.

Ultimately however I’d advise you to consider that Ubuntu 16.04 EOL’d several months ago and while it’s possible you could make use of Canonical’s Extended Security Maintenance offers to continue getting security updates it’s ultimately going to be easier long term to upgrade to a newer base.

1 Like

Hi @James-Carroll,

Thank you very much for your assistance.

I installed the pre-compiled binaries of the version 6.24.00.
I see that there is no Roofit directory when I un-tar the binary. However, when I try to run a fitting code with this, it works fine (although a bit slower). Why is it so?

Regards,
Sanjeeda

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.