Error : File overwritten -- File is more than 2 Gigabytes

Dear ROOT experts
I am running a C++ file on a root file and its output is a root file with tree inside it. If the input root file is small then my code is running fine but in case its size exceeds 2GB it terminates the process with following –

Error in TRFIOFile::TRFIOFile: error doing rfio_lseek
Error in TBranch::GetBasket: File: rfio:///tmp/khurana/input/Merged_ZZtoAnything_TuneZ2_7TeV-pythia6-tauola_v2.root at byte:0, branch:ifTrackIsoUsingLeadingPion, entry:1337352, badread=0, nerrors=1, basketnumber=1
Error in TBranch::GetBasket: File: rfio:///tmp/khurana/input/Merged_ZZtoAnything_TuneZ2_7TeV-pythia6-tauola_v2.root at byte:0, branch:is_SingleHardPhoton_event, entry:1340093, badread=0, nerrors=0, basketnumber=2
Error in TBranch::GetBasket: File: rfio:///tmp/khurana/input/Merged_ZZtoAnything_TuneZ2_7TeV-pythia6-tauola_v2.root at byte:0, branch:is_SingleHardPhoton_event, entry:1340093, badread=0, nerrors=0, basketnumber=3
Error in TBranch::GetBasket: File: rfio:///tmp/khurana/input/Merged_ZZtoAnything_TuneZ2_7TeV-pythia6-tauola_v2.root at byte:0, branch:is_SingleHardPhoton_event, entry:1340093, badread=0, nerrors=0, basketnumber=4
Error in TBranch::GetBasket: File: rfio:///tmp/khurana/input/Merged_ZZtoAnything_TuneZ2_7TeV-pythia6-tauola_v2.root at byte:0, branch:is_SingleHardPhoton_event, entry:1340093, badread=0, nerrors=0, basketnumber=5
Error in TBranch::GetBasket: File: rfio:///tmp/khurana/input/Merged_ZZtoAnything_TuneZ2_7TeV-pythia6-tauola_v2.root at byte:0, branch:is_SingleHardPhoton_event, entry:1340093, badread=0, nerrors=0, basketnumber=6
Error in TBranch::GetBasket: File: rfio:///tmp/khurana/input/Merged_ZZtoAnything_TuneZ2_7TeV-pythia6-tauola_v2.root at byte:0, branch:is_SingleHardPhoton_event, entry:1340093, badread=0, nerrors=0, basketnumber=7
Error in TBranch::GetBasket: File: rfio:///tmp/khurana/input/Merged_ZZtoAnything_TuneZ2_7TeV-pythia6-tauola_v2.root at byte:0, branch:is_SingleHardPhoton_event, entry:1340093, badread=0, nerrors=0, basketnumber=8
Error in TBranch::GetBasket: File: rfio:///tmp/khurana/input/Merged_ZZtoAnything_TuneZ2_7TeV-pythia6-tauola_v2.root at byte:0, branch:is_SingleHardPhoton_event, entry:1340093, badread=0, nerrors=0, basketnumber=9
file probably overwritten: stopping reporting error messages
===>File is more than 2 Gigabytes

Please suggest some alternative to avoid such errors.
Regards
Raman

In principle we call rfio_lseek64() calls to be able to write files larger than 2GB via RFIO. I’ll investigate with the RFIO authors.

Cheers, Fons.

Hi,

can you let me know which version of ROOT this is and where the binary comes from (from AFS, ROOT ftp, or self built). If self built, which librfio did you use? The one from Castor or DPM? If the former there might be a problem with librfio.

Cheers, Fons.

Hi

I am using root from afs and version used is 5.22/00d.
I checked that when this error is shown size of output rootfile was ~ 180 MB not > 2GB however the input file is > 2GB.
How can I set the maximum size of rootfile (tree) so that it don’t throw errors when I access them. :frowning: :frowning:

Regards
Raman

But was the input file you were tying to use read via rfio? ROOT files can be much larger than 2GB and can be read without option. However, it might be (is very likely) that version v5-22-00i has been build with an rfio library that does not yet support >2GB files. Can you try ROOT v5-28-00 and let me know if that works.

Cheers, Fons.

Hi,

any news on this issue with a more recent ROOT version?

Cheers, Fons.