Error and Warning messages from ROOT 6.26/02 and 6.26/04

Hello,

Since the update to 6.26/02, I am getting the following messages when starting root:

$  > root
   ------------------------------------------------------------------
  | Welcome to ROOT 6.26/04                        https://root.cern |
  | (c) 1995-2021, The ROOT Team; conception: R. Brun, F. Rademakers |
  | Built for macosx64 on Jun 24 2022, 19:48:00                      |
  | From tags/v6-26-04@v6-26-04                                      |
  | With Apple clang version 13.0.0 (clang-1300.0.29.30)             |
  | Try '.help', '.demo', '.license', '.credits', '.quit'/'.q'       |
   ------------------------------------------------------------------

Error in <TCling::LoadPCM>: ROOT PCM /Users/ivana/work/packages/root/root_v6.26.04/lib/libNet_rdict.pcm file does not exist
Info in <TCling::LoadPCM>: In-memory ROOT PCM candidate /Users/ivana/work/packages/root/root_v6.26.04/lib/libASImageGui_rdict.pcm

Info in <TCling::LoadPCM>: In-memory ROOT PCM candidate /Users/ivana/work/packages/root/root_v6.26.04/lib/libASImage_rdict.pcm

Info in <TCling::LoadPCM>: In-memory ROOT PCM candidate /Users/ivana/work/packages/root/root_v6.26.04/lib/libEGPythia6_rdict.pcm

Info in <TCling::LoadPCM>: In-memory ROOT PCM candidate /Users/ivana/work/packages/root/root_v6.26.04/lib/libEG_rdict.pcm

Info in <TCling::LoadPCM>: In-memory ROOT PCM candidate /Users/ivana/work/packages/root/root_v6.26.04/lib/libXMLParser_rdict.pcm

I am building ROOT from source with the cmake options below:

cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=../root_v6.26.04 \
  -Dpythia6_nolink=ON \
  -Dvmc=OFF \
  -Dgdml=ON \
  -Dtbb=OFF \
  -Dbuiltin_freetype=OFF \
  -Dbuiltin_gsl=ON \
  -Dbuiltin_glew=ON \
  -Dbuiltin_vdt=ON \
  -DPython3_EXECUTABLE=/usr/local/bin/python3 \
  -DCMAKE_CXX_STANDARD=17 \
  ../root_v6.26.04_source

To run ROOT, I use to source
root_install_path/bin/thisroot.sh

Thank you,

Ivana

ROOT Version: 6.26/04 and 6.26/02
Platform: Mac OS 11.6.5
Compiler: Apple clang version 13.0.0 (clang-1300.0.29.30)

Hi @ivana ,

needless to say that should not happen :slight_smile:

A quick workaround is probably turning off runtime C++ modules, i.e. building with -Druntime_cxxmodules=OFF.
Or not building ROOT from source at all unless you have specific needs that require it: you can install it as a package or a pre-compiled binary as described at Installing ROOT - ROOT .

@Axel and @vvassilev might be able to help further, let’s ping them.

Cheers,
Enrico

Hi @ivana !

Simple question first: does /Users/ivana/work/packages/root/root_v6.26.04/lib/libNet_rdict.pcm exist?

Cheers, Axel

Hi @Axel ,
There are no *_rdict,pcm files in the installed lib directory.
The command
ls *Net*
gives
Net.pcm NetxNG.pcm libNet.so libNetxNG.so

I just noticed

How did you do the update? Did you start from a 6.24 build and did an incremental build to 6.26? If that’s the case, starting the from an empty build directory instead, with no ROOT present in the environment might help.

Cheers,
Enrico

I confirm, that after a rebuild with the option suggested, I don’t get the error and warnings anymore:

When updating to new Root tag, I always start a build from new build directory with no ROOT in environment.

You should be able to use cxxmodules; the fact that you get the error messages is still broken. @vvassilev any hint what could cause this? IIRC these files are embedded in the library?

@ivana which version of macOS is this?

@axel. my Mac OS is Big Sur 11.6.5.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.