Downloading ROOT on Windows

Hi, everyone. I’m completely new to ROOT and have only previously coded in Python through Jupyter Notebook. I’m trying to download the 6.20/04 production release on my Windows 10 laptop. The only download options for Windows have a “preview” tag in front of them. Does that mean they’re unstable or incomplete in some way? There are two versions of the Windows download, one with (dbg) after it. What does “dbg” mean, and which version should I download? Also, am I correct to assume that it would be easier for me as a complete noob to download and set up the .exe extension rather than the zip file? Finally, is the program run through Windows Visual Studio? I’ve never used it before, so I’m sorry if that’s a dumb question. Any and all help is much appreciated.

Welcome to the forum!

That means that some features are not available, and there are some known bugs.

“dbg” means debug, meaning that if you want to debug your code with Visual Studio, you need to download this version

Probably

No, but you need to install Visual Studio and the Windows 10 SDK

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. That helped a lot.

That means that some features are not available, and there are some known bugs.

Are these serious issues? Would you recommend downloading another version?

Mostly incompatibility issues between Linux and Windows, and missing features, like PyROOT (which should be fixed soon)

I would recommend to download 6.20.06, or wait for the upcoming 6.22.00

1 Like

Thank you. Which workloads should I download with Windows Visual Studio? I have no idea what any of them do.

What do you mean? Simply download Visual Studio Community 2019 Edition and Select the Desktop development with C++ option when installing

1 Like