Double Dots in Branch Name of TClonesArray

Hi,

I want to be able to switch on and off branches in my tree output which was created with.
TTree::Branch(TList*). The list contains single objects as well as TClonesArrays(). In order to attach a “.” to the top level branchname that is needed to switch off selectively the branches I use a split level of 100. Like in this dummy-code:

TList *fl1 = new TList();

TClonesArray *fTcab2 = new TClonesArray(“b2”,100);
fTcab2->SetName(“tcab2”);

b2 *fb2 = new b2(“sb2”);
fl1->Add(fb2);
fl1->Add(fTcab2);

TFile* file = TFile::Open(“branch.root”, “RECREATE”);
TTree *fTree = new TTree(“fTree”,“test Tree”);
fTree->Branch(fl1,32000,100);

The single Object looks like wanted but the TClonesArray contains two dots

*Br 8 :tcab2. : tcab2._ *

*Br 9 :tcab2…fUniqueID : fUniqueID[tcab2._] *

*Br 10 :tcab2…fBits : fBits[tcab2._] *

This looks strange and I’m not sure if this is how it is wanted, or not.

Best

Christian

Change your split level from 100 to the default value 99 and things will work correctly.

Rene

Dear Rene,

That is what I tried before, but since I want to switch off parts of the single objects. (e.g. sb2.fX) I need the dot in the first level . Otherwise (and with multiple single objects of the same type) I will only have access to “fX” for setting the branch Status.

So with
fTree->Branch(fList);
I get no dot in the Single object’s leaves (e.g. fX) , but the correct dot for the TClonesArrays
and with
fTree->Branch(fList,32000,100); I get a dot for the single object’s leaves (e.g. sb2.fX) but two dots for the TClonesArrays (e.g. tcab2…fBits). This only happens for top level branches.

I could set the branches also by hand based on the TList and modify the branch names accordingly. But the TTree::Branch(TCollection*) is just one line of code :slight_smile:

Best

Christian