Difficulty building ROOT - ubuntu 11.10

I’m trying to build Root 5.32.00 on ubuntu 11.10 64 bit. I’m an undergrad physics student and have only just installed ubuntu to use root in a research placement so I’m still trying to familiarise myself with the OS and a fair bit of ignorance can be assumed. I downloaded root from subversion - svn co root.cern.ch/svn/root/tags/v5-32-00 root-5.32.00 and sudo apt-get install-ed all of the packages I might need. After running ./configure everything seems to have been configured fine and the makefile is created.

Tom@ubuntu:~/v5-32-00$ ./configure linux --enable-minuit2 --enable-roofit --enable-table --enable-gdml --enable-pgsql --enable-mysql --enable-builtin-zlib --enable-builtin-pcre --enable-builtin-freetype --enable-builtin-glew Checking for source directory ... /home/Tom/v5-32-00 Configuring for linux INFO: --enable-pgsql: already enabled by default. INFO: --enable-mysql: already enabled by default. Checking for GNU Make version >= 3.80 ... ok Checking for C compiler ... gcc Checking for C++ compiler ... g++ Checking for linker (LD) ... g++ Checking for F77 compiler ... gfortran Checking for libX11 ... /usr/lib Checking for X11/Xlib.h ... /usr/include Checking for X11/xpm.h ... /usr/include Checking for X11/Xft/Xft.h ... /usr/include Checking for X11/extensions/shape.h ... /usr/include Checking for libXpm ... /usr/lib Checking for libXft ... /usr/lib Checking for libXext ... /usr/lib
etc…

Building Root then gives me this error:

[code]Enabled support for asimage, astiff, builtin_afterimage, builtin_freetype, builtin_pcre, builtin_zlib, builtin_lzma, cintex, exceptions, explicitlink, gdml, genvector, memstat, minuit2, reflex, roofit, shadowpw, shared, table, tmva, x11, xft.

To build ROOT type:

make

Tom@ubuntu:~/v5-32-00$ make
g++ -m32 -O2 -Wl,–no-undefined -o bin/rmkdepend build/rmkdepend/cppsetup.o build/rmkdepend/ifparser.o build/rmkdepend/include.o build/rmkdepend/main.o build/rmkdepend/parse.o build/rmkdepend/pr.o build/rmkdepend/mainroot.o
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.6.1/libstdc++.so when searching for -lstdc++
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.6.1/libstdc++.a when searching for -lstdc++
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lstdc++
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
bin/rmkdepend -R -fcint/cint/src/g__cfunc.d -Y -w 1000 – -pipe -m32 -Wall -W -fPIC -Iinclude -DG__REGEXP -DG__UNIX -DG__SHAREDLIB -DG__OSFDLL -DG__ROOT -DG__REDIRECTIO -DG__STD_EXCEPTION -DG__HAVE_CONFIG -DG__NOMAKEINFO -DG__CINTBODY -I/home/Tom/v5-32-00/cint/cint/inc -I/home/Tom/v5-32-00/cint/cint/src -I/home/Tom/v5-32-00/cint/cint/src/dict -pthread -I. – /home/Tom/v5-32-00/cint/cint/src/g__cfunc.c
make: bin/rmkdepend: Command not found
make: *** [cint/cint/src/g__cfunc.o] Error 127
[/code]

I initially had a problem with ./configure where libx11 and libxext files were located in the wrong directory but simply copying them across from lib32 to lib solved that issue.
Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
Tom Batchelor

Oh and in case the problem is to do with g++ as it appears to be, my version is:

[code]Tom@ubuntu:~/v5-32-00$ g++ -v Using built-in specs. COLLECT_GCC=g++ COLLECT_LTO_WRAPPER=/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.6.1/lto-wrapper Target: x86_64-linux-gnu Configured with: ../src/configure -v --with-pkgversion='Ubuntu/Linaro 4.6.1-9ubuntu3' --with-bugurl=file:///usr/share/doc/gcc-4.6/README.Bugs --enable-languages=c,c++,fortran,objc,obj-c++,go --prefix=/usr --program-suffix=-4.6 --enable-shared --enable-linker-build-id --with-system-zlib --libexecdir=/usr/lib --without-included-gettext --enable-threads=posix --with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/include/c++/4.6 --libdir=/usr/lib --enable-nls --with-sysroot=/ --enable-clocale=gnu --enable-libstdcxx-debug --enable-libstdcxx-time=yes --enable-plugin --enable-objc-gc --disable-werror --with-arch-32=i686 --with-tune=generic --enable-checking=release --build=x86_64-linux-gnu --host=x86_64-linux-gnu --target=x86_64-linux-gnu Thread model: posix gcc version 4.6.1 (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.6.1-9ubuntu3) [/code]
Cheers

My ubuntu definitely has a 64 bit kernel:

@ubuntu:~$ uname -a Linux ubuntu 3.0.0-14-generic #23-Ubuntu SMP Mon Nov 21 20:28:43 UTC 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Don’t understand why it sees it as 32 bit. ie the use of -m32

[quote]Don’t understand why it sees it as 32 bit. ie the use of -m32
[/quote]

[quote]./configure linux [/quote]explicitly request a 32 bit build. Omit the ‘linux’ part and it will auto-detect the correct platform.

Cheers,
Philippe.