Debugging with Visual C++

Dear all,

I recently had to switch from Linux to Windows 7 at work and I am trying to keep using ROOT. Up to now, however, I did not succeed to use Visual Studio 2010 (Express) to debug compiled ROOT macros. When I load the macro in ROOT with something like

I do not see any special debug files being created. I read somewhere, however, that Visual Studio expects certain files with the debug symbols.

Can anybody give me some hints as to how to debug ROOT macros in Windows?

Thanks a lot,

Sven

As far as I know, you can NOT mix “debug” and “release / optimized” builds on Windows (that means your own code MUST be compiled with the same options as ROOT -> so you may need to have two separate versions of ROOT installed).
See, for example, notes about available “Windows” binaries in the bottom of http://root.cern.ch/drupal/content/production-version-532

Thank you very much for your fast reply! I will try to get the debug version and see whether it works then!

Best regards,

Sven

Hello again,

is it actually possible to have both, the debug and the normal version of ROOT installed on Windows? The (binary) debug version won’t install, telling me that there is already another version of ROOT installed…

Regards,

Sven

You can use the tar file (.tar.gz), instead of the msi…

Cheers, Bertrand.