Cross-section of 3D histogram question

Hi, I am a fairly new user to ROOT, and I was just wondering how do you take a cross-section of a 3D histogram and shift/project it to the y-axis? I appreciate your help.

When mouse cursor is above one of plot’s frame planes, it’s highlighted in green (green.jpg). This means, that you can select this plane and move it - press shif and left mouse button (holding shift) and move mouse cursor - the plane will move (shifted.jpg).

Sorry, but I am fairly new with this software; How do make one of the plot’s frame planes? Thanks again.

Look, for example, $ROOTSYS/tutorials/gl/glbox.C.

It’ll draw a 3d hist for you. This plot will have a frame around plot (as a background). Planes, which form this frame are selectable.

I went to $ROOTSYS/tutorials/gl/glbox.C and the following histogram is what I got. I don’t see any selectable planes. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks.

That’s a default, non-gl plot. Do you have any diagnostic in ROOT’s console after you type .x glbox.C?

After I type .x glbox.C it displays the default, non-gl plot. I don’t see any diagnostic in ROOT’s console.

I do not beleive :slight_smile:
You should have some diagnostic :slight_smile: Or correct gl-plot. If you move mouse and try to rotate plot - can you see any messages?

And, please, show your glbox.C :slight_smile:
Can you, for example, execute gltf3.C sample? What do you see?

Tha’s what happens when the submitter does not specify his/her version of ROOT.

Rene

[quote]Tha’s what happens when the submitter does not specify his/her version of ROOT.

Rene[/quote]

Well, that’s true (and platform and output of glxinfo can be interesting too), but in principle all versions of ROOT which have this tutorial should demonstrate the same behavior, that’s why I’m surprised.

I am using ROOT version 5.10. When I rotate the plot, I can’t see any messages. I executed gltf3.C, and I got a histogram of a Klein bottle.

You are doing something wrong - ROOT 5.10 does not have modern
tutorials structure, so, I do not understand, how you can find
$ROOTSYS/tutorials/gl/glbox.C - in version 5.10 tutorials dir looks like this:

root.cern.ch/viewvc/tags/v5-10-00/tutorials/

you see, there is no glbox.C tutorial here, and even more - this version of ROOT does not have glbox painter (it was first introduced in 5.14).

Is there any way I can achieve my primary question using version 5.10, or do I have to upgrade to the latest/newer version of ROOT? Thanks for your help (Sorry for the lack of ROOT knowledge on my part; I just started using this software about a week ago).

[quote]Is there any way I can achieve my primary question using version 5.10,
[/quote]

with gl - nohow, since TH3xxx hists are not supported in this version yet.

If you think, that glbox can help you, you have to upgrade to the latest/newer version of ROOT (BTW in the latest version glbox section is different from initial version, so, you’d better use the latest).