Crash Message

ROOT stopped working in my PC after some time and the crash message is attached for reference.

Thanks.
error_message.txt (28.6 KB)

Hi,

it looks like your system is not correctly configured.
You are using a mixture of libraries on the system and in your home directory.
On what system are you running? Did you buid ROOT yourself w/o issues?
If you are on a SLC6 or CC7 box you can always use a central ROOT installation: see root.cern.ch/content/release-60604 and more specifically

. /afs/cern.ch/sw/lcg/external/gcc/4.9/x86_64-slc6-gcc49-opt/setup.sh
. /afs/cern.ch/sw/lcg/app/releases/ROOT/6.06.04/x86_64-slc6-gcc49-opt/root/bin/thisroot.sh

Danilo

I am using Ubuntu 16 with VirtualBox on Mac. I had used the central installation along with some commands I found on the web :

echo ‘export ROOTSYS=Desktop/root’ >>~/.bashrc
echo ‘export PATH=$RPPTSYS/bin:$PATH’ >>~/.bashrc
echo ‘export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$ROOTSYS/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH’ >>~/.bashrc
echo ‘export PYTHONPATH=$ROOTSYS/lib:PYTHONPATH’ >>~/.bashrc
sudo apt install root-system-bin

It seemed to work fine for some time until it crashed. Should I use (for installation) the commands you’ve mentioned instead ?

[quote=“dpiparo”]Hi,

it looks like your system is not correctly configured.
You are using a mixture of libraries on the system and in your home directory.
On what system are you running? Did you buid ROOT yourself w/o issues?
If you are on a SLC6 or CC7 box you can always use a central ROOT installation: see root.cern.ch/content/release-60604 and more specifically

. /afs/cern.ch/sw/lcg/external/gcc/4.9/x86_64-slc6-gcc49-opt/setup.sh
. /afs/cern.ch/sw/lcg/app/releases/ROOT/6.06.04/x86_64-slc6-gcc49-opt/root/bin/thisroot.sh

Danilo[/quote]

Hi,

the concept of central installation and Ubuntu is not defined: we provide installations for SLC6 and CC7 distributions.
What is in Desktop/root? Is it a version of ROOT you compiled yourself?

Danilo

Hi,

Please pardon my naïveté. Desktop/root is the address for the extracted root folder from the tar file downloaded from : root.cern.ch/content/release-60604. The terminal commands used after that were what I tried to follow from the installation guidelines given in Nevis/Columbia tutorial for ROOT.

Thanks

[quote=“dpiparo”]Hi,

the concept of central installation and Ubuntu is not defined: we provide installations for SLC6 and CC7 distributions.
What is in Desktop/root? Is it a version of ROOT you compiled yourself?

Danilo[/quote]

Hi,

could you just extract the content of the tarball and then (I am assuming a sh-like shell):

cd root
source bin/thisroot.sh
root

That’s all you should need.

Cheers,
Danilo

Hi,

I tried what you suggested, however initially the terminal shows the error message : input_line_1:1:10: fatal error: file ‘/usr/include/c++/5/new’ modified since it
was first processed
#include
^
Following this, it crashed in the same way as before once I tried to execute any command.

Thanks.

[quote=“dpiparo”]Hi,

could you just extract the content of the tarball and then (I am assuming a sh-like shell):

cd root
source bin/thisroot.sh
root

That’s all you should need.

Cheers,
Danilo[/quote]

The development headers of gcc do not seem to be there.
Could you make sure you have gcc 4.8 and associated development headers installed?

I assume that was indeed the problem. Anyway, I installed gcc 4.8 and associated development headers and now ROOT seems to work just fine. Thanks a lot for the help !

Cheers,
Sanket

[quote=“dpiparo”]The development headers of gcc do not seem to be there.
Could you make sure you have gcc 4.8 and associated development headers installed?[/quote]