Copy existing histograms into a tree

Hi! I have a file with many existing histograms and I’d like to put them all into a Tree. There’s too many for me to manually add them all with SetBranchAddress etc. I’ve had a look at copyFiles.C but I can’t see how to adapt it to change the structure of the file.

I need them to be in a tree because a macro I want to use requires a chain of these trees as input.

Sorry I haven’t offered an attempt as a starting point, I really don’t know where to start! Initialising all the histograms and setting the branch addresses, I don’t know how to get the input for those functions. For looping over all histograms I guess it’ll be this style of thing:

while ((key = (TKey*)nextkey())) {
          const char *classname = key->GetClassName();
         }

Thanks for any help or tips! :slight_smile:

Please read tips for efficient and successful posting and posting code

ROOT Version: Not Provided
Platform: Not Provided
Compiler: Not Provided

Hi @KatR,
sorry for the late reply! TTree is a columnar data format, i.e. in first approximation you can think of its contents as arranged on a table: where do you want to put your histograms? One per row with one columns, one per column with one row, or do you need several columns with N rows each?

In any case, to add a histogram to a TTree, TTree::Branch might be the simplest approach – you don’t have to write it many times manually, you can use a for loop:

for (auto *h : histograms) {
  tree->Branch(h->GetName(), &h);
}
tree->Fill();

…or something of the sort depending on your answer to the question above.
Hope this helps!
Cheers,
Enrico

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.