Compute uncertainty of integral of a component of a TF1

Hi,

I am wondering whether there is functionality in standard ROOT (not RooFit) to compute the uncertainty of a component of a TF1. E.g. if fitting a function TF1 f1(“f1”,“gaus(0)+pol2(3)”) to a spectrum, I’d like to get the integral and its uncertainty only for the gaus(0) component.

If there is no function available, how can I properly can do this myself?

Another related question: If using a signal component, where the “amplitude” parameter already represents the integral (like it should be the case for gausn), can I assume that the uncertainty of the integral is correctly represented by the uncertainty of this fit parameter?

Thanks,
Klaus

Please read tips for efficient and successful posting and posting code

ROOT Version: Not Provided
Platform: Not Provided
Compiler: Not Provided

Hi,

thanks for the quick answer! Some follow-up questions:

• according to the example electronPionID.C in the 2nd post, the integral error of the signal seems to be extracted only from the signal parameters covariance, right?
    TMatrixD c1g = c1.GetSub(0, 2, 0, 2);
    This seems to neglect correlations of background parameters with signal parameters. I.e. I can well imagine, that changing the background shape has impact on the signal integral. Or am I wrong?

• you 3rd quote seems to address my 2nd question about, whether e.g. the error of par. 0 of a gausn is already representing the integral error of the signal component. But it didn’t seem to answer it but just points out the difference between gaus and gausn. Or did I miss something?

Best, Klaus

Run both macros from the first link using “fit_with_fixed_background” = “use_partial_covariance” = “kFALSE”. Then set both variables to “kTRUE” and run both macros again. Compare the obtained results.

See also: Wikipedia → Covariance matrix → Partial covariance matrix

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.