Compiling ROOT v5.29/02 for Ubuntu 11.04

I have had issues using the precompilied binaries since 5.26 (Specifically an issue with libtiff See:Linux RHEL 5 (SLC5) x86-64 with gcc 4.3, version 5.26/0

I have decided to compile ROOT from scratch. I have downloaded v5.29/02 and will be installing it on Ubunutu 11.04 x86_64. I run the configure script as indicated ./configure linuxx8664gcc The configure process completes successfully. (config.log is attached)

During the make command I get the following error message:

cp /opt/root_5.29.02_Custom/proof/proofd/inc/proofdp.h include/proofdp.h Guessing architecture/compiler: linux:x86_64:2.6.38-8-generic linux | x86_64 | 2.6.38-8-generic | x86_64_linux_26 | gccx8664 cp /opt/root_5.29.02_Custom/proof/pq2/inc/pq2actions.h include/pq2actions.h Guessing architecture/compiler: linux:x86_64:2.6.38-8-generic linux | x86_64 | 2.6.38-8-generic | x86_64_linux_26 | gccx8664 cp /opt/root_5.29.02_Custom/proof/pq2/inc/pq2ping.h include/pq2ping.h cp /opt/root_5.29.02_Custom/proof/pq2/inc/pq2wrappers.h include/pq2wrappers.h Invalid option '-L/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu'. Try ./configure.classic --help *** Error condition reported by Xrootd-configure (rc = 1): cp /opt/root_5.29.02_Custom/proof/pq2/inc/redirguard.h include/redirguard.h
The process continues until it finally aborts with the following:

Running /opt/root_5.29.02_Custom/build/unix/compiledata.sh
Making include/compiledata.h
bin/rmkdepend -R -fcint/cint/main/cppmain.d -Y -w 1000 -- -pipe -m64 -Wall -W -Woverloaded-virtual -fPIC -Iinclude  -DG__REGEXP -DG__UNIX -DG__SHAREDLIB -DG__OSFDLL -DG__ROOT -DG__REDIRECTIO -DG__STD_EXCEPTION -DG__64BIT -DG__HAVE_CONFIG -DG__NOMAKEINFO -DG__CINTBODY -I/opt/root_5.29.02_Custom/cint/cint/inc -I/opt/root_5.29.02_Custom/cint/cint/src -I/opt/root_5.29.02_Custom/cint/cint/src/dict -pthread -I. -D__cplusplus -- cint/cint/main/cppmain.cxx
make: bin/rmkdepend: Command not found 
make: *** [cint/cint/main/cppmain.o] Error 127
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
Running /opt/root_5.29.02_Custom/cint/ROOT/configcint.mk
Making cint/cint/inc/configcint.h

I’m not sure what the issue is or where to look next. Any help is appreciated.
config.txt (413 KB)

I experience the same exact problem. Please advise.

Radu

This issue has been reported as a bug savannah.cern.ch/bugs/index.php?81624, but it is still not working for x86_64. I have tried both 5.28.00d and 5.29.02

With the following options on my desktop

./configure linux --prefix=/usr/local --with-x11-libdir=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu --with-xext-libdir=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu --with-xft-libdir=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu --with-xrootd-opts=--syslibs=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnumake

I was able to configure, make the source files. After doing a sudo make install I get the following

/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/libftgl.so when searching for -lftgl
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/libftgl.a when searching for -lftgl
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lftgl
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/libGLEW.so when searching for -lGLEW
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/libGLEW.a when searching for -lGLEW
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lGLEW
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libX11.so when searching for -lX11
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libX11.a when searching for -lX11
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libm.so when searching for -lm
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libm.a when searching for -lm
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so when searching for -lc
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.a when searching for -lc
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [lib/libRGL.so] Error 1

Note that on a different computer ROOT worked with using the same configuration and running Ubuntu 11.04 64 bit. Not sure what is causing the problem and why it works on one computer and not on the other.

Hi,

indeed the error is due to some issue with libkrb5 detection (I did not have libkrb5-dev installed on my Ubuntu 11.04 box and hence did not see this issue). The fix is now in the trunk and v5-28-00-patches. You can work around it in your current version by doing:

./configure --disable-krb5

Cheers, Fons.

Hi Fons,

I have downloaded the trunk and now everything builds without any hint of problems. Thank you very much for you r help.

Radu

Thanks, this resolved my issues.