Compiling root under solaris10 (5.10) or even 5.11

Hi!
I tried to compile root on a SparcII with Solaris10, and the newest Compiler from Sun included in the Studio11:
CC: Sun C++ 5.8 2005/10/13
If You search the net you get only infos about root running with SunOS 5.8 and 5.9 (see also precompiled binaries).
Is there a fundamental problem with the newer OS Versions, because if I set up a new machine I do it with the newest OS available.
Or am I just too stupid to configure everything right?
Has there anyone installed root on Solaris 10 (i386 or Sparc) successfully?

Thanks,
Lars Nungesser

Very simply, we do not have access to a Solaris10 machine.

If you send the changes (if any) necessary to compile withe the latest
Solaris compiler, we will include them in the source.

Rene

[quote=“brun”]Very simply, we do not have access to a Solaris10 machine.

If you send the changes (if any) necessary to compile withe the latest
Solaris compiler, we will include them in the source.

Rene[/quote]

I managed to compile ROOT 5.10 under Solaris 10 with CC5.8 for x86. It almost works out of the box, expect that the default egrep (/usr/bin/egrep) does not work for the freetype and has to be replaces by the one in /usr/xpg4/bin/. But only after compilation reaches freetype and stops with “no suitable egred found”.

There is something weird though with ROOT: Downlioad the files at
http://www-zeuthen.desy.de/~niessen/root_solaris/ and run

root -b diff_vs_sum.C. For weird reasons, the second loop only does 4 iterations instead of 18.

Cheers, Peter.

Your script works correctly on all our supported systems.
I tested it on Solaris9, Linux,Windows,macosx.

Rene

Hi,

can you mail me an exact patch for the egrep issue in freetype. Since I don’t have Solaris 10 access I don’t want to guess the fix. Also is this a know change compared to Solaris 9?

Cheers, Fons.

HI Rooters

I had exactly the same problem on Sun Solaris 10 with Sun Studio 11. The solution I found was the to install the latest “gnu grep”. No other “grep” worked. Try your gnu grep (under somthing like /opt/freeware…) if it doesn’t work, you will have to upgrade its version.
You can do it yourself downloading the source (sun.com/software/solaris/freeware/)

Anyway, I found out that some ROOT packages like ROOFIT, MathCore, MathMore, Minuit2… are using extensively GNU software (grep, m4, autoconf, automake, make…) and if you don’t use GNU versions, you will have trouble building them. Probably because GNU has some extensions SUN hasn’t.
Put your GNU installation directory (I believe it is /opt/freeware/bin) first in your path. This should work. It solved my problems anyway.

Cheers

I forgot: I am not sure egrep is in the freeware package: I don’t have access to my SUN machine right now.
In my case, I downloaded the grep package from GNU (as mentioned in the previous mail) and compiled it. The grep package contains grep, egrep, fgrep… After that I put a put a symbolic link to those utilities in my /home/guillo/bin/SunOS path wich is first in my PATH variable.

Cheers

HI,

thanks for all the hints in this mail. It turned out that the looping problem was caused by not installing the patches

120759-06
121016-02
121020-02
121018-02
120762-02
121616-02

Now, the looping works.

Cheers, Peter.