Compiling ROOT on Ubuntu 14.04

Dear Rooters
Ubuntu 14.04 just came out last week and I thought to try and compile the latest ROOT 5 version on that system and to note here what I find during the installation process for reference for other ROOT users.

I checked out the latest patch release from the git repository and I’m installing out-of-source using CMake.

I use cmake 2.8.12.2 and gcc 4.8.2

I installed all the prerequisites packages, then configure the make system with the default configuration and I only receive this warning:

Looking for X11
Could NOT find GIF (missing:  GIF_LIBRARY GIF_INCLUDE_DIR) 
Could NOT find TIFF (missing:  TIFF_LIBRARY TIFF_INCLUDE_DIR) 
Could NOT find JPEG (missing:  JPEG_LIBRARY JPEG_INCLUDE_DIR) 

CFITSIO not found. You can enable the option 'builtin_cfitsio' to build the library internally'
                   For the time being switching off 'fitsio' option[/code]

In particular concerning the last one, apparently in Ubuntu 14.04 they upgraded to a new version of the library and the cmake installation cannot find the package anymore. In fact, rechecking the log of the prerequisite update I find this line:
[code]Note, selecting 'libcfitsio3-dev' instead of 'cfitsio-dev'

For this reason I switch the option to use the built-in version of the library, generate the build system and compile

At compile time the system is not able to compile the afterimage library so I removed the builtin version and installed the one provided via aptitude which removed the warnings for JPEG and TIFF missing (but not GIF)

At the end of the compilation and installation root executes.
The test stress.cxx, though fails with the following error:

Error: Symbol kLZMA is not defined in current scope stress.cxx:1206: *** Interpreter error recovered ***
When the line that would set the compression algorithm is removed from the macro everything works correctly

Next I changed the default CMake configuration adding Qt and C++11 and the stress test works yet again, even though I have to remove the SetCompression line