Compiling root on powerpc 64 bits

We are trying to compile root for 64 bits on a IBM POWER7 machine. We are encountering some problems. Is ROOT supposed to compile on 64 bits? Some time ago (weeks), I think I found posts saying that was not supported. I cannot find those posts any more. However it looks to me strange that ROOT is not supported in a 64 bit architecture.

Hi,

CINT was only ported to little-endian 64 bit platforms … thus is not expected to work on 64 bit PowerPC.

Cheers,
Philippe.

Hello,

According to the following page, linuxppc64gcc is supported to build ROOT.
root.cern.ch/drupal/content/supp … hitectures

However when I try to compile ROOT 5.32 on our cluster(ppc64, RHEL 6.1, gcc 4.4.5) the compilation fails with the following message.

make: *** [core/base/src/G__Base1.cxx] Segmentation fault (core dumped)
make: *** Deleting file `core/base/src/G__Base1.cxx’

Is it possible to build/use ROOT on this system?

Cheers,
Tarak.

Hi,

we put the infrastructure in place for ppc64 but it never did work due to run time issues with CINT on 64-bit big endian. However, compilation did work, so there is something wrong with you compiler. Anyway, we’ll remove this option as it will not work (at run-time).

Cheers, Fons.

I think I remember that CINT (and ROOT, too) was running on IBM RS/6000 machines (e.g. PowerPC based) under AIX with the xlC compiler. Wasn’t this a 64-bit (at least some models) “big endian”?
And there were the “big endian” HP-PA RISC and IA-64 architectures under HP-UX (with aCC an g++ compilers), some of which were 64-bit, too.

Nope, in those days we ran ROOT only in 32-bit mode. 64-bit port was done on Alpha and later ia64 (Itanium) and amd64. Anyway, when moving to cling/clang this problem will go away. Current AIX port is 32-bit only.

Cheers, Fons.

How about SGI 64-bit and/or Sun SPARC?

Prepared, but never operational.

Why not put explicit notes for each of these “supported architectures” … something like … “(prepared but never operational)” … on the web page http://root.cern.ch/drupal/content/supported-architectures and in the “root/config/ARCHS” file.

In the coming weeks many will be removed and only the list of currently supported remains.

Okay, thanks for the information. It has saved me some efforts.

Tarak.