Compiling problems on Red Hat Linux release 7.3 (Valha

Hi,

I’m trying to compile root 5.18 on Red Hat Linux release 7.3, but I get the following error, what do I have to do?
thanks!
Sara

[root@mc5 root]# gmake
bin/rmkdepend -R -fpyroot/src/ClassMethodHolder.d -Y -w 1000 – -pipe -m32 -Wall -W -Woverloaded-virtual -fPIC -Iinclude -DR__HAVE_CONFIG -pthread -DPYROOT_USE_REFLEX -I/usr/include/python1.5 -D__cplusplus – pyroot/src/ClassMethodHolder.cxx
g++ -O2 -pipe -m32 -Wall -W -Woverloaded-virtual -fPIC -Iinclude -DR__HAVE_CONFIG -pthread -DPYROOT_USE_REFLEX -I/usr/include/python1.5 -o pyroot/src/ClassMethodHolder.o -c pyroot/src/ClassMethodHolder.cxx
In file included from pyroot/src/MethodHolder.h:8,
from pyroot/src/ClassMethodHolder.h:12,
from pyroot/src/ClassMethodHolder.cxx:6:
pyroot/src/Utility.h:24: syntax error before *' token pyroot/src/Utility.h:25: syntax error before;’ token
gmake: *** [pyroot/src/ClassMethodHolder.o] Error 1

The version of python on RH7.3 is far too old for ROOT version 5.18. If you want to stick to this old version of RH, I suggest to compile ROOT with
make -k
You will get errors when compiling the python interface, but likely the other libs will be generated.

Rene

[quote=“vanini”]Hi,

I’m trying to compile root 5.18 on Red Hat Linux release 7.3, but I get the following error, what do I have to do?
thanks!
Sara
[/quote]

I managed to do this after I installed intel C/C++ compiler (only version 8 can work with so old Red Hat). So, if non-commercial version of intel compiler is good for you and you agree with its license, you can try it.

Hi,

if memory serves me, then rh73 came with python2.2, which is supported, although some features will be missing. As for the infamous gcc2.96, which is more likely to be the culprit for this error, I’ve never tried that. So yes, if --disable-python is not an option, do use a different compiler.

Cheers,
Wim

[quote]Hi,

if memory serves me, then rh73 came with python2.2, which is supported, although some features will be missing. As for the infamous gcc2.96, which is more likely to be the culprit for this error, I’ve never tried that. So yes, if --disable-python is not an option, do use a different compiler.

Cheers,
Wim[/quote]

Hi.

Yes, --disable-python will not help if OP has gcc 2.96 - the most serious problem of gcc 2.96 - missing parts of standard C++ library, which are required by, for example, MathCore and TMatrix classes. TMatrix can be tuned and compiled even with gcc 2.96, but not MathCore.

I’m using gcc 3.2. If I use the --disable-python option I get the following error… do I need another compilator?
Thanks
Sara

bin/rmkdepend -R -fcintex/src/CINTFunctional.d -Y -w 1000 – -pipe -m32 -Wall -W -Woverloaded-virtual -fPIC
-Iinclude -pthread -D__cplusplus – cintex/src/CINTFunctional.cxx
g++ -O2 -pipe -m32 -Wall -W -Woverloaded-virtual -fPIC -Iinclude -pthread -o cintex/src/CINTFunctional.o
-c cintex/src/CINTFunctional.cxx
cintex/src/CINTdefs.h: In static member function `static int
ROOT::Cintex::Converter::toCint(G__value*, void*) [with T = long
double]’:
cintex/src/CINTFunctional.cxx:162: instantiated from here
cintex/src/CINTdefs.h:184: Internal compiler error in emit_move_insn, at expr.c
:2769
Please submit a full bug report,
with preprocessed source if appropriate.
See URL:http://www.gnu.org/software/gcc/bugs.html for instructions.
gmake: *** [cintex/src/CINTFunctional.o] Error 1

[quote]I’m using gcc 3.2. If I use the --disable-python option I get the following error… do I need another compilator?
Thanks
Sara
[/quote]

gcc 3.2 is much more better than 2.96, but internal compiler error is usually really bad thing :slight_smile: - you have to do some guess-work with source code to understand, what is the source of this “error” and find work-around to make compiler work. Especially bad, if you cannot or do not want to modify source code. Another compiler can be simpler and possibly better solution.

I think, you can try to disable cintex during configuration:

./configure --disable-cintex.

Hi Sara,

does g++ -pipe -m32 -Wall -W -Woverloaded-virtual -fPIC -Iinclude -pthread -o cintex/src/CINTFunctional.o -c cintex/src/CINTFunctional.cxx (i.e. without -O2) work with GCC 3.2?

Cheers, Axel.