Compiling on solaris

Hi to all,

I’m trying to compile ROOT 5.12/5.13 on a Solaris 10 x64 system with the Sun Studio 11 compiler (CC Version 5.8) Unfortunately the make stops at cint/src/libstrm.cxx
because the compiler can’t find stdiostream.h and stream.h
These files exist in /opt/SUNWspro/prod/include/CC/stlport4 and /opt/SUNWspro/prod/include/CCios
When I add one of these paths manually to the includepath, I get other severe compiler errors.

What have I done wrong or are some packets missing?

Cheers
Fabian

Could you try with the CVS head? ROOT was recently compiled under CC5.8

Rene

I get exactly the same errors as before. Here the complete call that fails

[code]/opt/SUNWspro/bin/CC -O -KPIC -DG__REGEXP1 -DG__UNIX -DG__OSFDLL -DG__SHAREDLIB -DG__ROOT -DG__REDIRECTIO -Iinclude -DG__HAVE_CONFIG -DG__NOMAKEINFO -DG__CINTBODY -Icint/lib/libstrm -Icint/lib/stream -o cint/src/libstrm.o -c cint/src/libstrm.cxx

“cint/lib/stream/stdiostr.h”, line 27: Error: Could not open include file.
“cint/lib/stream/strm.h”, line 25: Error: Could not open include file.[/code]

with some other errors following, which should be caused by the failed inclusions.

Fabian

Hi,

I’ve no problem compiling ROOT on Solaris 10 x86. For CC I use:

CC: Sun C++ 5.8 Patch 121018-05 2006/08/30

I have:

./export/home/opt/SUNWspro/prod/include/CC/stlport4/stdiostream.h.SUNWCCh
./export/home/opt/SUNWspro/prod/include/CC/stlport4/stdiostream.h
./export/home/opt/SUNWspro/prod/include/CC4/stdiostream.h
./export/home/opt/SUNWspro/prod/include/CCios/stdiostream.h
./export/home/rdm/root/cint/include/stdiostream.h

Cheers, Fons.

Except of the last, I have the header files in the same location.
Bringing the patch level of the compiler up to date also brought no success.
I observed that the compiler include error does not occur when running configure for solarisCC5 (instead solaris). But in this case the make stops at a long libtool call for libpcre.la with error code 1

Fabian

Hi,

for Solaris with CC you NEED to use the default configure solarisCC5. If that fails in libtool you must make sure to install the latest libtool. To have it all working on my Solaris I had to install, in addition to CC:

grep-2.5.sol10-intel
libgcc-3.3-sol10-intel
libiconv-1.9.2-sol10-x86
make-3.80-sol10-intel
pcre-4.5-sol10-intel
tar-1.15.1-sol10

Cheers, Fons.

Hi,
after installing some more packages and tuning the path environment variable, the make successfully finished :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot for the hints.

Fabian

Guys,

I’m trying to build root on Solaris 10 x86. I take it I need to build it from the source. What’s the conifugre command line that I need to use? I’ll try and decode what was written in the previous posts to this thread. It would be nice if there were a step by step recipie so that I wouldn’t have to burn brain cell glucose on this problem…

Thanks. Steve.

Hi Steve,

ROOT’s ./configure will autodetect the Solaris i386 and Sun CC compiler environment. So just do:

./configure
make
make install

(and make sure you have the latest patch version of the OS and Compiler installed).

Cheers, Fons.

Hi Fons,

Well… I tried the old trick of ./configure; make; make install but root version 5.(what ever the latest stable one is) didn’t detect the solaris 10 x86 install I have…

bash-3.00# ./configure
Attempts at guessing your architecture failed.
Please specify the architecture as the first argument.
Do './configure --help' for a list of avaliable architectures.
bash-3.00# ls -l ../../tar/root_v5.12.00f.source.tar 
-rw-r--r--   1 adler    adler    70635520 Nov 22 10:20 ../../tar/root_v5.12.00f.source.tar
bash-3.00# uname -a
SunOS ipt0 5.10 Generic_118855-19 i86pc i386 i86pc

Do I need to get the development version?

Yes try the head version of ROOT. I use Solaris 10 i386 myself and it works ok.

– Fons

[quote=“Fabian”]Hi,
after installing some more packages and tuning the path environment variable, the make successfully finished :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot for the hints.

Fabian[/quote]

Could you please send me your $PATH variable?

When doing configure, did you also disable some functionality (–disable-kerberos or so)?

Cheers & thanks, Peter.

PS. You think you could download the root file and the C “kumac” from

www-zeuthen.desy.de/~niessen/root_solaris

and tell me if the loop in the C-script terminates?

PPS Did you get your Ultra 20 M2?