Compile root libraries without libX?

Hi,
I would like to install the root libraries on a computing cluster, but they are reluctant to install the libX libraries (libX11, libXft, libXext, libXpm). Is there a way to just compile the ROOT libraries that don’t require libX? I’m linking in the mathematics, TMatrix and TMinuit libraries to my binary, and have constructed my classes as ROOT objects…

thanks,
Greg

This option is not yet available, but I will provide it shortly (as I also need it for the iOS port).

Cheers, Fons.

[quote=“rdm”] (as I also need it for the iOS port).
[/quote]

I assume the Android port will be following shortly? :smiley:

Cheers,
Charles

Hi Charles,

actually the Android port should be there earlier, as Apple doesn’t need to sign off on it.

Let us know if you need help with that port :wink:

Cheers, Axel.

[quote=“gveramendi”]Hi,
I would like to install the root libraries on a computing cluster, but they are reluctant to install the libX libraries (libX11, libXft, libXext, libXpm). Is there a way to just compile the ROOT libraries that don’t require libX? I’m linking in the mathematics, TMatrix and TMinuit libraries to my binary, and have constructed my classes as ROOT objects…
[/quote]I do not think you need anything special to do. Any ROOT application is to be started in so-called “batch” mode as soon as no DISPLAY env variable is provided. The “batch” ROOT doesn’t try to load any X11-related plugin or shared library. This means any ROOT application will be happily running within your run-time environment the way you need.

If I remember correctly, configure scripts fails when it does not find X libraries…

For the version in SVN, at least, there is now an option to disable X when building.

Please let me know when the Android port is complete. :smiley:

Cheers,
Charles

I added the option to build without X11 for the iPhone port :smiley: but Android is of course great too.

Cheers, Fons.

[quote=“rdm”]I added the option to build without X11 for the iPhone port :smiley: but Android is of course great … [/quote]So we can just add Qt (it is already available for Android) to get the full-fledged ROOT can not we :wink: