Compile ROOT 6.20.00 on Catilina 10.15

_ROOT Version: root-6.20.00
_Platform: macOS Catilina 10.15.3
_Compiler: Apple clang version 11.0.0 (clang-1100.0.33.17)

Hi,

I’m tying to compile ROOT v6.20.00 on a Catilina 10.15.3 os.
According to this post

this version should have fixed the location in which cling looks for headers.

However, the result of issueing
~> cmake -DCMAKE_CXX_STANDARD=14 …/root-6.20.00

is

[omissis]
– Clang version: 5.0.0
– Cling version (from VERSION file): ROOT_0.7~dev
– Cling will look for C++ headers in ‘/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/…/include/c++/v1’ at runtime.
– And if not found, will invoke: '/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/c++ ’ for them.
[omissis]

This turns out to an error when ROOT is compiled.

Could you please indicate me how can I correctly instruct cling to search for headers in the folder

/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.15.sdk/usr/include

that should be the correct one?

Thank you very much for your help.

Best regards,

Valerio

Hi Valerio,

Welcome to the forum! Could you share the exact error message you get during the build?

Cheers, Axel

Dear Axel,
please find in attachment the resulting log files.
Thank you very much for your prompt interest!

If helpful, during the compilation the following env was set:
CPATH=/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk/usr/include

Bests
Valerio

cmake.txt (13.9 KB) rootbuild.txt (763.2 KB)

I also imagine this could possibly be related of my local environment.
Is anyone else experiencing the same problem?
Thanks for the support!
Bests
Valerio

@Axel according to your experience, do you think that this could be a problem related to my environment, or it regards some compatibility issue that may be solved in future releases?
Thank you!

Hi Valerio,
Ouch, sorry for not following up on this, and thanks for pinging me! So first of all: curl -O https://root.cern/download/root_v6.20.04.macosx64-10.15-clang110.pkg should give you a package that you can just install, instead of having to build ROOT yourself. Now - if you want to build ROOT yourself nonetheless then please provide the output of running xcode-select -p at a terminal; can you upload your CMakeCache.txt; can you run make VERBOSE=1 > make.log 2>&1 and upload make.log?
Cheers, Axel.

Dear Axel,
thank you very much for taking your time on this!
Indeed, I would need to build ROOT for compatibility with other library, that depend on ROOT.

This time I’ve tried to compile ROOT 6.20.04, as I still get the same error.

Following are the information you have requested

$ xcode-select -p
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer

in attachment, the CMakeCache file
and at this link https://cernbox.cern.ch/index.php/s/xRtlG8uQIwjAzGW the make.log

Thank you very much for your feedback!

Best

Valerio

CMakeCache.txt (125.5 KB)