Compilation warnings with NVCC

ROOT Version: 6.25.01
Platform: Ubuntu 20.04.02
Compiler: GCC 9.3.0 and NVCC 11.4

Hi there,

I’m compiling a ROOT project with CUDA incorporated. When I compile with my usual toolchain using GCC 9.3.0 I don’t see any compile-time warnings. However now that I’ve incorporated CUDA and NVCC I see come compilation warnings related to ROOT header files including:

/usr/local/lib/root-6.25.01_install_new/include/TTreeReaderValue.h(121): warning: signed bit field of length 1

/usr/local/lib/root-6.25.01_install_new/include/TStorage.h:131:37: warning: declaration of ‘static void TStorage::UpdateIsOnHeap(const volatile UInt_t&, volatile UInt_t&)’ with attribute ‘noinline’ follows inline declaration [-Wattributes]
131 | R__NEVER_INLINE void TStorage::UpdateIsOnHeap(volatile const UInt_t &uniqueID, volatile UInt_t &bits) {
| ^~~~~~~~

/usr/local/lib/root-6.25.01_install_new/include/TStorage.h:91:20: note: previous declaration of ‘static void TStorage::UpdateIsOnHeap(const volatile UInt_t&, volatile UInt_t&)’ here
91 | static void UpdateIsOnHeap(volatile const UInt_t &uniqueID, volatile UInt_t &bits);
| ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was wondering if others were observing these compilation warnings, whether they are anything that I should be worried about, and if they might possibly indicate that something is wrong with my build configuration.

Thank you for your input and help,

Joseph

Hi Joseph,
I have seen that warnings when building ROOT with CUDA. I don’t think there is anything to worry about. We will try to see if we can fix or silent them

Best

Lorenzo

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.