CMake Error - Could Not Find X11 when trying trying to install ROOT 6.16/00

Hello!

I’m having some issues trying to install ROOT onto my computer. My OS is Linux Mint 18.2.

When I create the build directory obj, enter obj, and then execute cmake … the terminal works for a bit before saying:

– Looking for X11
CMake Error at /home/jack/cmake-3.14.5-Linux-x86_64/share/cmake-3.14/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:137 (message):
Could NOT find X11 (missing: X11_X11_INCLUDE_PATH)
Call Stack (most recent call first):
/home/jack/cmake-3.14.5-Linux-x86_64/share/cmake-3.14/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:378 (_FPHSA_FAILURE_MESSAGE)
/home/jack/cmake-3.14.5-Linux-x86_64/share/cmake-3.14/Modules/FindX11.cmake:366 (find_package_handle_standard_args)
cmake/modules/SearchInstalledSoftware.cmake:9 (_find_package)
cmake/modules/SearchInstalledSoftware.cmake:271 (find_package)
CMakeLists.txt:150 (include)

– Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
See also “/home/jack/SOFWARE/root-6.16.00/obj/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log”.
See also “/home/jack/SOFWARE/root-6.16.00/obj/CMakeFiles/CMakeError.log”.

I’ve triple checked to make sure that I have indeed installed all of the necessary prerequisites as outlined by the ROOT website. Could someone help me figure out this issue?

Thank you!

Do you have development libraries for X11 installed? It seems you have the libraries, but not the headers, therefore the Could NOT find X11 (missing: X11_X11_INCLUDE_PATH) message.

I have these four from the build prerequisites website installed:
libx11-dev: for usr/include/X11/Xlib.h and for /usr/lib/libX11.so
libxpm-dev: for /usr/include/X11/xpm.h and for /usr/lib/libXpm.so
libxft-dev: for /usr/include/X11/Xft/Xft.h and for /usr/lib/libXft.so
libxext-dev: for /usr/include/X11/extensions/shape.h and for /usr/lib/libXext.so

How would I be able to get the headers?

I don’t know why it’s not found, then. Maybe it’s your custom CMake that is the problem. Why not use the CMake from the system?