CloneTree complains if "fast" option used?

[2016-07-16 18:50:38,989][DEBUG  ]  Cloning TChain now (mergeTrees.py:381)
TTree::CopyEntries:0: RuntimeWarning: The output TTree (nominal) must be associated with a writable file (Bkgtest.root).
Error in <TChain::CloneTTree>: TTree has not been cloned

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "mergeTrees.py", line 384, in <module>
    tree.SetName("_".join([group, treename]))
ReferenceError: attempt to access a null-pointer

where the code relevant is

output_file.cd()
      logger.debug('Cloning TChain now')
      tree = tc.CloneTree(-1, "fast")

however, if I change to

tree = tc.CloneTree()

instead. I get no errors and things work fine. Is there a particular thing I need to do, such as SetDirectory? How can I debug this? The fast-option would be useful…

Hi,

How did you open the output file [ which seems to be named ‘Bkgtest.root’ and seems to be point to by the variable ‘output_file’] ?

Cheers,
Philippe.

Hi Phillipe,

This was opened via “ROOT.TFile(‘Bkgtest.root’, ‘NEW’)”. It turns out that a “SetDirectory” call is needed to make this work, unfortunately. So now it looks like

logger.debug('Cloning TChain now')
      tree = tc.CloneTree(-1, "fast")
      # names need to be format <sample>_<systematic>
      tree.SetName("_".join([group, treename]))
      tree.SetTitle("_".join([group, treename]))
      tree.SetDirectory(output_file)
      output_file.cd()
      tree.Write()

Hi,

I am still a bit confused. Can you provide a complete running reproducer?

[quote]It turns out that a “SetDirectory” call is needed to make this work, unfortunately.[/quote]In the snippet the call to SetDirectory is after the call to CloneTree, and can not be affecting it … so I don’t know what you are refering to by ‘this’ in “to make this work”. Can you be more explicit?

Note, indeed the output TFile must be the current directory at the time CloneTree is called. I.e. doing output_file.cd() tree = tc.CloneTree(-1, "fast") should have worked. However, This was opened via "ROOT.TFile('Bkgtest.root', 'NEW')". does not match The output TTree (nominal) must be associated with a writable file (Bkgtest.root).as the ‘NEW’ option should definitively had made it writeable …

Cheers,
Philippe

Moving this discussion over to TChain::CopyTree only works the second+ time? as CopyTree seems to be a better alternative.