Class Deriving from TNamed and TVectorD won't compile

Hi, I am trying to make a “Named Vector” that I can use in TFile::Add and retrieve by name later. TVectorD only inherit from TObject, not from TNamed, so they only have the fixed name “TVectorT”, and I lose track of which vector is which in the TFile.

If I try to do this:

class NamedVectorD : public TNamed, public TVectorD
  {
    ClassDef(NamedVectorD,1);
    using TNamed::TNamed; // Requires C++11
    virtual ~NamedVectorD(){};
  };

then I get a bunch of errors about implicit instantiation:

root [0] .L Utility.C+ Info in <TMacOSXSystem::ACLiC>: creating shared library /Users/jfcaron/Projects/Proto2BeamTest2/./Utility_C.so In file included from /Users/jfcaron/Projects/Proto2BeamTest2/Utility_C_ACLiC_dict.cxx:17: In file included from /Users/jfcaron/Projects/Proto2BeamTest2/Utility_C_ACLiC_dict.h:34: /Users/jfcaron/Projects/Proto2BeamTest2/./Utility.C:156:46: error: implicit instantiation of undefined template 'TVectorT<double>' class NamedVectorD : public TNamed, public TVectorD ^ /Users/jfcaron/Software/custom_root/compiled/include/root/TVectorDfwd.h:24:31: note: template is declared here template<class Element> class TVectorT; ^ /Users/jfcaron/Projects/Proto2BeamTest2/Utility_C_ACLiC_dict.cxx:282:15: error: cannot initialize object parameter of type 'TNamed' with an expression of type 'Utility::NamedVectorD' TNamed::ShowMembers(R__insp); ^~~~~~~~~~~ 2 errors generated.
If I change the TVectorD to a TArrayD, then there is no such error. I am guessing this is because TArrayD isn’t a template specialization of some TArray, but is instead a daughter class of TArray. TVectorD is a template specialization of TVectorT, not a child of it. Now I thought that since TVectorD was a typedef and I can #include “TVectorD.h”, that I would never actually have to deal with the fact that it uses templates. But here clearly the difference matters.

Is there some simple modification to my class that I could make that would allow it to inherit from TNamed and TVectorD? I’d rather not make my class a templated NamedVector, I’m ok with only using the version of TVector.

I could use the TArrayD version but then I’d have to convert from/to actual TVectorDs before/after writing to the TFile. It’s not that big of a problem, but I’d rather avoid it.

Jean-François

Warning: multiple ambiguous inheritance TObject and NamedVectorD. Cint will not get correct base object address
See TNamed and TVectorT