Can't start TBrowser(): "arrow_*.xpm not found"

I have a problem starting the GUI on ROOT 5.14/00 on Ubuntu 6.06 Linux (Dapper Drake). I compiled it from sources.

% root -l
root [0] TBrowser()
Error in <TGVScrollBar>: arrow_*.xpm not found

*** Break *** segmentation violation

This is not a problem with locating files. This is my only ROOT installation, I have no ~/.rootrc, and etc/system.rootrc has

% grep Gui.IconPath etc/system.rootrc
Gui.IconPath:                $(HOME)/icons:$(ROOTSYS)/icons:.

% root -l
root [0] gEnv->GetValue("Gui.IconPath", "hey")               
(const char* 0x8320588)"/home/dapper/icons:/home/software/physics/root/icons:."

I encounter the same error whether I build with

./configure --prefix=/home/software/physics --etcdir=/home/software/physics/etc
make install

or with

export ROOTSYS=/home/software/physics/root
./configure
make install

I investigated the problem by looking at TGScrollBar.cxx and following the program flow. As you can see, ROOT finds the arrow_down.xpm file. I think it fails when it opens the TImage, because the pixmap handle probably shouldn’t be zero. Given the null handle, it can’t make a TGPicture.

root [0] char *picnam = gSystem->Which(gClient->GetPicturePool()->GetPath(), "arrow_down.xpm")
root [1] picnam
(char* 0x8a750a0)"/home/software/physics/root/icons/arrow_down.xpm"
root [2] char *pname = "arrow_down.xpm"
root [3] TImage *img = TImage::Open(picnam)
root [4] img->GetPixmap()
(unsigned long)0
root [5] img->GetMask()  
(unsigned long)23068803
root [6] TGPicture* pic = TGPicture(pname, img->GetPixmap(), img->GetMask())
Error: Symbol null is not defined in current scope  :0:
*** Interpreter error recovered ***

What about privileges? I own the file and can read and write.

% lsl /home/software/physics/root/icons/arrow_down.*
-rw-r--r-- 1 dapper dapper  79 2007-01-10 14:46 /home/software/physics/root/icons/arrow_down.gif
-rw-r--r-- 1 dapper dapper 185 2002-02-07 04:27 /home/software/physics/root/icons/arrow_down.xpm

I also made a GIF copy of the image and tried to read that, instead. Same problem.

I do, in fact, have an XPM library, and ROOT is using it.

% ldd `which root` | grep libXpm
        libXpm.so.4 => /usr/lib/libXpm.so.4 (0xb7f65000)

Thanks!
– Jim

Hi Jim,

Those kind of problems were caused by not installed asimage plugin. The error messages you got lead to that reason.

Cheers, Ilka

When I configure, the script says, “Enabled support for asimage, astiff, builtin_afterimage, builtin_freetype, builtin_pcre, builtin_zlib, cintex, exceptions, mathcore, pch, python, reflex, shadowpw, shared, thread, xml, xrootd.”

I’ll compile again, because it’s possible that I installed the prerequisite package after compiling.

Thanks, though!
– Jim

[quote=“Jim Pivarski”][quote=“antcheva”]Those kind of problems were caused by not installed asimage plugin. The error messages you got lead to that reason.
[/quote]

When I configure, the script says, “Enabled support for asimage, astiff, builtin_afterimage, builtin_freetype, builtin_pcre, builtin_zlib, cintex, exceptions, mathcore, pch, python, reflex, shadowpw, shared, thread, xml, xrootd.”
[/quote]

No, I have the same problem, even though the configure script says I have “asimage.”

– Jim

Hi Jim,

What about if you try to start the browser from the canvas Inspect menu? Or enter ‘TBrowser b’ instead of TBrowser()?

Also you may have a look at root.cern.ch/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4085 (just do search of “Ubuntu TBrowser”)

Cheers, Ilka