Hi,
when i try to compile a program under ROOT i get:
root [3] .L e:\Amir\prova.cc++
Warning in : e:\Amir is not writeable!
Warning in : Output will be written to C:\Users\Amir\AppData\Local\Temp
Info in TWinNTSystem::ACLiC: creating shared library C:\Users\Amir\AppData\Loc
al\Temp\Amir\prova_cc.dll
"cl" non è riconosciuto come comando interno o esterno,
un programma eseguibile o un file batch.
(it means: “cl” is not recognized as a internal or external command , an executable file or a batch file)
Error: external preprocessing failed. (0)
!!!Removing C:\Users\Amir\AppData\Local\Temp\Amir\s5os_5.cxx C:\Users\Amir\AppDa
ta\Local\Temp\Amir\s5os_5.h !!!
Error: rootcint: error loading headers…
Error in : Dictionary generation failed!
Info in : Invoking compiler to check macro’s validity
"cl" non è riconosciuto come comando interno o esterno,
un programma eseguibile o un file batch.
(it means: “cl” is not recognized as a internal or external command , an executable file or a batch file)
root [4]

What’s happening? if i just use
.L e:\Amir\prova.cc
all works

Hi,

The path to the VC compiler (cl.exe) must be in your PATH environment variable. To do so, you can call: c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\vcvarsall.bat
when opening a command prompt.

• You can also create a shortcut on your desktop with the target being i.e.:
%comspec% /k ""c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\vcvarsall.bat"" x86

(This is an example with Vista x64, so please adapt to the standard Vista)

• Or you can add the MSVC pathes to your PATH as following:
c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE;c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\BIN;c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\Tools;c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\Tools\bin;c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\PlatformSDK\bin;c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\SDK\v2.0\bin;c:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727;c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\VCPackages;

(please adapt to your version and path)

HTH,
Bertrand.

thank you bellenot.

after a search on my pc, i didn’t find any “vcvarsall.bat”.

there is a way to get it somewhere?

Hi,

Here is the one to use on Windows XP / MSVC 8.0:

HTH,
Bertrand.

[quote=“Amir”]after a search on my pc, i didn’t find any “vcvarsall.bat”.
there is a way to get it somewhere?[/quote]I would advise to add two simple MSDOS batch files to your %ROOTSYS%/bin.
launchroot.cmd:

SET ROOTSYS="your ROOTSYS directory here" IF EXIST "%VS80COMNTOOLS%\vsvars32.bat" ( call "%VS80COMNTOOLS%\vsvars32.bat call "%ROOTSYS%\bin\rootenv.cmd" ) SET PATH=="your ROOTSYS directory here";%PATH% start "ROOT" %ComSpec% /k "%ROOTSYS%\bin\root.exe" %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9 and rootenv.cmd:

SET INCLUDE=%ROOTSYS%;%ROOTSYS%\include;%INCLUDE% set LIB=%ROOTSYS%;%ROOTSYS%\lib;%LIB% if EXIST "%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows Server 2003 R2\lib" ( SET LIB=%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows Server 2003 R2\lib;%LIB% ). Now to start ROOT application with ACliC turned properly against of the local VC++ installation one should invoke “launchroot.cmd” rather “root.exe”. All files above are generated and placed automatically by the ROOT setup from root.bnl.gov

thank you very much bellenot and fine :slight_smile:

i’ll try and let you know