Cannot compile on Debian Squeeze

Hello,

the last version of root that I was able to successfully compile was from around February (2011) and since I wanted a more up to date version I decided to get a new one. Unfortunately I am not able to compile the current version. This is the error message I get:

g++ -shared -Wl,-soname,libCint.so -m64 -O2 -Wl,--no-undefined -o lib/libCint.so cint/cint/src/g__cfunc.o cint/cint/src/config/strlcpy.o cint/cint/src/config/strlcat.o cint/cint/src/config/snprintf.o cint/cint/main/G__setup.o cint/cint/src/Api.o cint/cint/src/auxu.o cint/cint/src/BaseCls.o cint/cint/src/bc_assign.o cint/cint/src/bc_autoobj.o cint/cint/src/bc_cfunc.o cint/cint/src/bc_debug.o cint/cint/src/bc_eh.o cint/cint/src/bc_exec.o cint/cint/src/bc_inst.o cint/cint/src/bc_item.o cint/cint/src/bc_parse.o cint/cint/src/bc_reader.o cint/cint/src/bc_type.o cint/cint/src/bc_vtbl.o cint/cint/src/CallFunc.o cint/cint/src/cast.o cint/cint/src/Class.o cint/cint/src/DataMbr.o cint/cint/src/debug.o cint/cint/src/decl.o cint/cint/src/disp.o cint/cint/src/dump.o cint/cint/src/end.o cint/cint/src/error.o cint/cint/src/expr.o cint/cint/src/FastAllocString.o cint/cint/src/fread.o cint/cint/src/func.o cint/cint/src/gcoll.o cint/cint/src/global1.o cint/cint/src/global2.o cint/cint/src/ifunc.o cint/cint/src/inherit.o cint/cint/src/init.o cint/cint/src/input.o cint/cint/src/intrpt.o cint/cint/src/loadfile.o cint/cint/src/macro.o cint/cint/src/malloc.o cint/cint/src/memtest.o cint/cint/src/MethodAr.o cint/cint/src/Method.o cint/cint/src/new.o cint/cint/src/newlink.o cint/cint/src/opr.o cint/cint/src/parse.o cint/cint/src/pause.o cint/cint/src/pcode.o cint/cint/src/pragma.o cint/cint/src/quote.o cint/cint/src/random.o cint/cint/src/rflx_gendict.o cint/cint/src/rflx_gensrc.o cint/cint/src/rflx_tools.o cint/cint/src/scrupto.o cint/cint/src/Shadow.o cint/cint/src/shl.o cint/cint/src/sizeof.o cint/cint/src/struct.o cint/cint/src/stub.o cint/cint/src/tmplt.o cint/cint/src/Token.o cint/cint/src/Type.o cint/cint/src/typedef.o cint/cint/src/Typedf.o cint/cint/src/val2a.o cint/cint/src/value.o cint/cint/src/var.o cint/cint/src/dict/Apiif.o cint/cint/src/dict/stdstrct.o cint/cint/src/dict/gcc4strm.o -ldl /usr/bin/ld: /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.4.5/libstdc++.a(compatibility.o): relocation R_X86_64_32 against `typeinfo for __cxxabiv1::__forced_unwind' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.4.5/libstdc++.a: could not read symbols: Bad value collect2: ld returned 1 exit status make: *** [lib/libCint.so] Error 1

I started using the SVN and the revision is:

$ svnversion . 42439

Here is some info on the system:

$ uname -r 2.6.32-5-amd64 $ gcc --version gcc (Debian 4.4.5-8) 4.4.5

Any ideas?

Hi,

There might be partial product from a previous compilation. Can you retry from a fresh checkout (in a different directory)?

Cheers,
Philippe.

I just did and I am getting exactly the same error again.

Hi,

What was the command lines just before the link line? Which argument did you provide to the configure script?

Philippe.

[quote=“pcanal”]Hi,

What was the command lines just before the link line? […]
[/quote]

What do you mean by that?

[quote=“pcanal”]
[…]
Which argument did you provide to the configure script?

Philippe.[/quote]

Apart from a simple prefix to change the installation directory I did not provide any arguments.

Hi,

[quote]What do you mean by that?[/quote]I meant that I want to see the output that was before the first line you copy/pasted so that I could verify that the -m64 and -fPIC were listed there.

Philippe.