Cannot compile cint/src/libstrm.cxx for AIX 5

While trying to build ROOT from source (version 5.18.00) for AIX5 the build process reaches this point (there are many lines of errors - I just pasted the first few below):

xlC -O -qmaxmem=-1 -qchars=signed -qnoro -qnoroconst -qrtti -qstaticinline -DG__REGEXP -D_POSIX2_SOURCE -DG__P2FCAST -DG__SHAREDLIB -DG__OSFDLL -DG__ROOT -DG__REDIRECTIO -Iinclude -DR__HAVE_CONFIG -DG__HAVE_CONFIG -DG__NOMAKEINFO -DG__CINTBODY -Icint/src -Icint/lib/libstrm -Icint/lib/stream -o cint/src/libstrm.o -c cint/src/libstrm.cxx

“cint/src/libstrm.cxx”, line 211.10: 1540-0300 (S) The “private” member “streambuf::operator=(streambuf &)” cannot be accessed.
“cint/src/libstrm.cxx”, line 228.10: 1540-0218 (S) The call does not match any parameter list for “::operator new”.
“cint/src/libstrm.cxx”, line 228.10: 1540-1284 (I) Predefined “operator new(unsigned long)” is not a viable candidate.
“cint/src/libstrm.cxx”, line 228.10: 1540-0215 (I) The wrong number of arguments have been specified for “operator new(unsigned long)”.
“cint/src/libstrm.cxx”, line 228.10: 1540-1284 (I) Predefined “operator new(unsigned long, const char *, unsigned long)” is not a viable candidate.

Hi,

sorry for not reacting at all - I just forgot about your posting :frowning:

Could you try cp cint/src/libstrm.cxx cint/src/libstrm.cxx_orig cp cint/src/libstrm.h cint/src/libstrm.h_orig cp cint/src/gcc4strm.cxx cint/src/libstrm.cxx cp cint/src/gcc4strm.h cint/src/libstrm.h make

Does that help? If not, could you try it with the gcc3strm version? Don’t replace the *_orig files, though :slight_smile:

I don’t have access to AIX5 so we’ll have to make progress through trial and error for now.

Cheers, Axel.

Did this issue ever get resolved. I tried the suggested remedy but got a different set of errors:

“cint/lib/stream/iostrm.h”, line 36.18: 1540-0040 (S) The text “" is unexpected
. “streambuf” may be undeclared or ambiguous.
“cint/lib/stream/iostrm.h”, line 37.18: 1540-0040 (S) The text "
” is unexpected
“cint/lib/stream/iostrm.h”, line 38.18: 1540-0040 (S) The text “" is unexpected
“cint/lib/stream/iostrm.h”, line 39.18: 1540-0040 (S) The text "
” is unexpected
. “ofstream” may be undeclared or ambiguous.

Lawrence Hannon

Hi Axel,

I’m afraid we tried both your suggestions, with a new set of errors. I’ve attached both outputs to this post. gcc4 has the results from using the gcc4strm.* files and gcc3 has the results from using the gcc3strm* files

I have a good feeling though, as this set of errors seems less “scary”.
jes.gcc4.txt (45.6 KB)
jes.gcc3.txt (45.6 KB)