Can not import root in python

Hello,

I have a problem with importing root6.22.06 in python2.7.18. and I hoped that you could help me. I’m using Centos 7.

Python is installed and ROOT as well but as soon as I want to import ROOT there is an import error that there is no module named ROOT.

Thanks in advance and kind regards,
Lilian

Hello,

Please try running source $ROOTSYS/bin/thisroot.sh, where ROOTSYS is the directory where ROOT is installed, and then try again to open Python and import ROOT.

Hi!
Thanks for your response.
I installed ROOT via EPEL (Centos):

$ yum install epel-release
$ yum install root

The command ‘whereis thisroot.sh’ delivers no location.
‘whereis root’ tells me /usr/bin/root.exe

Hi @lilino,

I think that on Fedora/CentOS, an additional package is required for PyROOT support. I think that for Python-2.7, the package should be named python2-root. Therefore, you can try:

$ sudo yum install python2-root

Let us know if that fixes your issue.

Cheers,
J.

Hi again,
I installed python2-root, but still can’t import ROOT or find thisroot.sh.
Do you have any other ideas what to try?
Thanks and cheers,
L.

Hi @lilino,

Could you confirm that you are running Python-2.7, i.e., $ python --version. EPEL provides different packages depending on the Python version. Also, could you confirm that after installing the package the directories cppyy, cppyy_backend, and ROOT can be found under /usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/?

Finally, could you copy here the specific error that you are getting when you try to import ROOT?

Cheers,
J.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.