Calculation of Mass for Leading Jets in an Event

I am currently doing a project on jet physics from Higgs decays and struggling to learn the necessary programming. As a starting point I have a sample decay with the relevant parameters/cards/etc in place: I need to run this sample and then

At the moment I have a sample with the relevant parameters/cards in place etc. I can run the event and produce an n-tuple from it, but I need calculate the invariant mass of the two leading p_t jets, as well as delta eta and delta phi and print off the results. Could you give some guidance or advice on how I would calculate this as I have literally no idea how to do this.

If this is not the correct forum could someone point me in the right direction: I feel like this is a ROOT issue as there should be something on ROOT to allow me to do this (maybe if there are specific forums for MadGraph5/Pythia/Delphes that would be more helpful).

Do you know how to extract the 4-momenta (as TLorentzVectors) of the jets from your NTuple?

Once you’ve done this, you just sort by descending pT, take the first two 4-vectors and calculate the quantities you need.

Ah right, no I’ve not done that before. I have a tuple produced as a result of running the toy decay ie. I ran the process and it created a LINUX directory with items in it called ‘Kinematic Test’ (along those lines), one of the items inside is a ROOT file. This file should contain generated histograms for masses of the jets, pseudorapidity, azimuthal angles and other quantities as mentioned. Could you explain how I would extract the jet 4-momenta out the file and then sort them in order?

I think the calculations need to be done via code as my supervisor has asked me to print the results.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.