Building standalone cling binary from root repository

I am trying to experiment cling and libCling in source code level.
To build cling from source, I tried cling_build_instructions in root official webpage and the tool cpt.py mentioned in README.md of cling repo but the built version is older than the project root repository. ( Old enough to not having root repo pull request 8243, resulting in many segfaults in my use case )

Assuming I am not using the whole root except cling, is it recommended to build, test and develop cling from root repository?
And to build a standalone cling from root repo, I passed -DCLING_INCLUDE_TESTS=ON to cmake while configuring root to enable building cling binary. Then I have to explicitly run “cmake --build ${build_dir} --target cling”
Is there a more explicit way to let cmake build a standalone cling binary from root repo?

Hi @jiangyilism ,

and welcome to the ROOT forum. This is a question for @Axel or @vvassilev , let’s ping them.

Cheers,
Enrico

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Sorry for the suuuuper late response. To build cling as part of ROOT you indeed need to do what you describe. But we don’t really suggest that - ROOT’s cling is slightly different from the standalone cling. Using cpt or just checking out the appropriate branches and using cmake will do!

This topic was automatically closed after 13 days. New replies are no longer allowed.