Building root 5.24.00 with gcc 4.2.4 (Ubuntu 8.04)

hi, trying to compile the latest root on my ubuntu with gcc.4.2.4, it fails with the following error message. is this known and did someone else manage to compile with gcc4.2.4
thanks,

lib/libXrdSut.a -lm -ldl -pthread -rdynamic
bin/rmkdepend -R -fmain/src/rmain.d -Y -w 1000 – -pipe -m32 -Wall -W -Woverloaded-virtual -fPIC -Iinclude -DR__HAVE_CONFIG -pthread -D__cplusplus – main/src/rmain.cxx
g++ -O2 -pipe -m32 -Wall -W -Woverloaded-virtual -fPIC -Iinclude -DR__HAVE_CONFIG -pthread -o main/src/rmain.o -c main/src/rmain.cxx
g++ -m32 -O2 -o bin/root.exe main/src/rmain.o
-Llib -lCore -lCint -lMathCore -lRint -lm -ldl -pthread -rdynamic
main/src/rmain.o: In function main': rmain.cxx:(.text+0x108): undefined reference toTObject::operator delete(void*)'
lib/libCore.so: undefined reference to TObject::GetTitle() const' lib/libCore.so: undefined reference toTObject::DrawClone(char const*) const’
lib/libCore.so: undefined reference to TObject::Browse(TBrowser*)' lib/libCore.so: undefined reference toTObject::TObject(TObject const&)'
lib/libCore.so: undefined reference to TObject::GetObjectInfo(int, int) const' lib/libCore.so: undefined reference toTObject::operator delete
lib/libCore.so: undefined reference to TObject::GetUniqueID() const' lib/libCore.so: undefined reference toTObject::DoError(int, char const*, char const*, char*) const’
lib/libCore.so: undefined reference to TObject::Inspect() const' lib/libCore.so: undefined reference toTObject::SetDrawOption(char const*)'
lib/libCore.so: undefined reference to TObject::SetBit(unsigned int, bool)' lib/libCore.so: undefined reference toTObject::GetObjectStat()'
lib/libCore.so: undefined reference to TObject::Error(char const*, char const*, ...) const' lib/libCore.so: undefined reference toTObject::GetName() const’
lib/libCore.so: undefined reference to TObject::operator=(TObject const&)' lib/libCore.so: undefined reference toTObject::Execute(char const*, char const*, int*)'
lib/libCore.so: undefined reference to TObject::InheritsFrom(TClass const*) const' lib/libCore.so: undefined reference toTObject::TObject()'
lib/libCore.so: undefined reference to TObject::AppendPad(char const*)' lib/libCore.so: undefined reference toTObject::Draw(char const*)'
lib/libCore.so: undefined reference to TObject::Print(char const*) const' lib/libCore.so: undefined reference toTObject::Notify()'
lib/libCore.so: undefined reference to typeinfo for TObject' lib/libCore.so: undefined reference toTObject::HandleTimer(TTimer*)'
lib/libCore.so: undefined reference to TObject::IsEqual(TObject const*) const' lib/libCore.so: undefined reference toTObject::operator delete[](void*, void*)'
lib/libCore.so: undefined reference to TObject::Write(char const*, int, int)' lib/libCore.so: undefined reference toTObject::FindObject(TObject const*) const’
lib/libCore.so: undefined reference to TObject::Fatal(char const*, char const*, ...) const' lib/libCore.so: undefined reference toTObject::SetObjectStat(bool)'
lib/libCore.so: undefined reference to TObject::ExecuteEvent(int, int, int)' lib/libCore.so: undefined reference toTObject::ClassName() const’
lib/libCore.so: undefined reference to TObject::GetDtorOnly()' lib/libCore.so: undefined reference toTObject::GetDrawOption() const’
lib/libCore.so: undefined reference to TObject::RecursiveRemove(TObject*)' lib/libCore.so: undefined reference toTObject::SavePrimitive(std::basic_ostream<char, std::char_traits >&, char const*)'
lib/libCore.so: undefined reference to TObject::Dump() const' lib/libCore.so: undefined reference toTObject::Delete(char const*)'
lib/libCore.so: undefined reference to TObject::MayNotUse(char const*) const' lib/libCore.so: undefined reference toTObject::Compare(TObject const*) const’
lib/libCore.so: undefined reference to TObject::Execute(TMethod*, TObjArray*, int*)' lib/libCore.so: undefined reference toTObject::UseCurrentStyle()'
lib/libCore.so: undefined reference to TObject::Info(char const*, char const*, ...) const' lib/libCore.so: undefined reference toTObject::DistancetoPrimitive(int, int)'
lib/libCore.so: undefined reference to TObject::Copy(TObject&) const' lib/libCore.so: undefined reference toTObject::TObject(TObject const&)'
lib/libCore.so: undefined reference to TObject::~TObject()' lib/libCore.so: undefined reference toTObject::TObject()'
lib/libCore.so: undefined reference to TObject::Paint(char const*)' lib/libCore.so: undefined reference toTObject::Read(char const*)'
lib/libCore.so: undefined reference to TObject::Warning(char const*, char const*, ...) const' lib/libCore.so: undefined reference toTObject::SaveAs(char const*, char const*) const’
lib/libCore.so: undefined reference to TObject::Clone(char const*) const' lib/libCore.so: undefined reference toTObject::SysError(char const*, char const*, …) const’
lib/libCore.so: undefined reference to TObject::AbstractMethod(char const*) const' lib/libCore.so: undefined reference toTObject::ls(char const*) const’
lib/libCore.so: undefined reference to TObject::SetUniqueID(unsigned int)' lib/libCore.so: undefined reference toTObject::SetDtorOnly(void*)'
lib/libCore.so: undefined reference to TObject::operator delete(void*, void*)' lib/libCore.so: undefined reference toTObject::GetIconName() const’
lib/libCore.so: undefined reference to TObject::DrawClass() const' lib/libCore.so: undefined reference toTObject::Write(char const*, int, int) const’
lib/libCore.so: undefined reference to TObject::Pop()' lib/libCore.so: undefined reference toTObject::Streamer(TBuffer&)'
lib/libCore.so: undefined reference to TObject::InheritsFrom(char const*) const' lib/libCore.so: undefined reference toTObject::IsFolder() const’
lib/libCore.so: undefined reference to TObject::Hash() const' lib/libCore.so: undefined reference toTObject::FindObject(char const*) const’
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

my guess is that you are mixing a ROOT library compiled with “-m64” with your code compiled with “-m32”

Rene

thanks for the reply Rene,
i am doing things correctly. The machine is a 32 bit ubuntu with gcc 4.2.4
and compilation fails as i reported during the make command
for info, my gcc -v
ghodbane@clratlport05:~$ gcc -v
Using built-in specs.
Target: i486-linux-gnu
Configured with: …/src/configure -v --enable-languages=c,c++,fortran,objc,obj-c++,treelang --prefix=/usr --enable-shared --with-system-zlib --libexecdir=/usr/lib --without-included-gettext --enable-threads=posix --enable-nls --with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/include/c++/4.2 --program-suffix=-4.2 --enable-clocale=gnu --enable-libstdcxx-debug --enable-objc-gc --enable-mpfr --enable-targets=all --enable-checking=release --build=i486-linux-gnu --host=i486-linux-gnu --target=i486-linux-gnu
Thread model: posix
gcc version 4.2.4 (Ubuntu 4.2.4-1ubuntu4)

1. ./configure --prefix=pwd
  2. make

bin/rmkdepend -R -fmain/src/rmain.d -Y -w 1000 – -pipe -m32 -Wall -W -Woverloaded-virtual -fPIC -Iinclude -DR__HAVE_CONFIG -pthread -D__cplusplus – main/src/rmain.cxx
g++ -O2 -pipe -m32 -Wall -W -Woverloaded-virtual -fPIC -Iinclude -DR__HAVE_CONFIG -pthread -o main/src/rmain.o -c main/src/rmain.cxx
g++ -m32 -O2 -o bin/root.exe main/src/rmain.o
-Llib -lCore -lCint -lMathCore -lRint -lm -ldl -pthread -rdynamic
ma

Hi,

Maybe this can help: http://root.cern.ch/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6771

Cheers,
Bertrand.

I can only repeat what I said above. You are compiling your own code with a compiler and options not compatible with your ROOT libs. Did you install ROOT yourself?
Did you import a binary tar ball? which one?
Can you execute stand-alone ROOT? if yes, my suspicion is correct.

Rene