Building Root 22

Please read tips for efficient and successful posting and posting code

ROOT Version: 6.22.00
Platform: OSX 10.15.5
Compiler: clang

Hi,
When compiling the new root version (22.00) , I get the error:

**/usr/local/include/Pythia8/PythiaStdlib.h:32:20:** **error:** **functions that differ only in their return type cannot be overloaded**

extern "C" void *(*dlsym(void *handle, const char *symbol))();

**^**

**/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.15.sdk/usr/include/dlfcn.h:67:15:** **note:** previous declaration is here

extern void * dlsym(void * __handle, const char * __symbol) __DYLDDL_DRIVERKIT_UNAVAILABLE;

It might be an issue with Pythia but I did not upgrade Pythia lately and the compilation went w/o problems for the previous root version (20.06).

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Wolfgang

1 Like

@vvassilev or @oshadura Is this something you have seen before or could help with?

Could you provide more context? I suspect that happens when generating some dictionary. Could you rerun with make VERBOSE=1 and paste the entire failing invocation with all error messages?

Dear @vvassilev,
Thanks for the reply. AttachedROOT_22_Error.txt (34.7 KB) is the complete output starting just above the first and only error message.
I used “make VERBOSE=1”.

Thanks for your help.

Best,
Wolfgang

Hi Wolfgang,

What would be the output of:

echo ‘#include <dlfcn.h>

#include <Pythia8/PythiaStdlib.h>’ | clang -xc++ -fsyntax-only -I /usr/local/include -

If that fails then I am afraid that the issue is on the Pythia side.

Sent from my phone. Please excuse my brevity.

Hello,
I get: zsh: no such file or directory: dlfcn.h

dlfcn.h exists in several Xcode folders.

Best,
Wolfgang

I meant:

echo '#include <dlfcn.h>

#include <Pythia8/PythiaStdlib.h>' | clang -xc++ -fsyntax-only -I /usr/local/include -

If zsh is unhappy with that please execute bash and then the command.

Sorry that was my mistake. When I execute the command you suggested I get:

/usr/local/cern > echo '#include <dlfcn.h>

#include <Pythia8/PythiaStdlib.h>’ | clang -xc++ -fsyntax-only -I /usr/local/include -
In file included from :3:
/usr/local/include/Pythia8/PythiaStdlib.h:32:20: error: functions that differ only in their return type cannot be overloaded
extern “C” void *(*dlsym(void *handle, const char *symbol))();
^
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk/usr/include/dlfcn.h:67:15: note: previous declaration
is here
extern void * dlsym(void * __handle, const char * __symbol) __DYLDDL_DRIVERKIT_UNAVAILABLE;
~~~~~~ ^
1 error generated.

Thanks for all your help.

Best,
Wolfgang

It looks like my suspicion was correct. This issue is on the pythia side. I would recommend uninstalling pythia if you are not using it or contacting the pythia dev community.

1 Like

Thank you for your response. Will do.
Best,
Wolfgang

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.