Building only the root libraries (i.e. without the interpreter)

Is it possible to build only the ROOT object libraries? I have no desire to use the interpreter, I just want to use ROOT objects in other compiled code. Building the interpreter is taking a long time, so I am just wondering if I really must do it :slight_smile:. I found this topic that seems related but not identical [url]Build ROOT6 without builtin_llvm? and although the answer there seems discouraging I thought I’d just ask straight up :slight_smile:. I had a look through the various CMake options but nothing stood out to me as accomplishing this goal.

Hi,

I believe we don’t support that.

Cheers,
Danilo

The workaround is to speed up the build procedure :wink:

Try with “-D ccache=On” and “make -j4” e.g. if you have 4 cores.

Hi,

great suggestion ferhue!
I’ll suggest another one: “-G Ninja” to generate ninja files rather than makefiles in order to obtain a higher parallelism level (and less printouts).
And another one: if you are on linux, be sure that your linux is not the regular “ld” but rather “gold” (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_(linker).

Note however that the usage of ccache during the first compilation adds some overhead. Starting from the second one, the build will be really fast: basically only dictionaries will be re-generated and libraries re-linked.

Cheers,
Danilo