Building LLVM 3.9: cannot find malloc.h

Hi Alex,
sorry for the probably stupid question.

In order to install compile root 6.04.04 on my Ubuntu 14.04, I’m trying to pre-install cling (is this the correct procedure?).

I just downloaded the build script:
raw.githubusercontent.com/karie … r/clone.sh
and tried to run it.

It downloads the current version (3.9) but then it crashed during the cmake with the following message:
CMake Error at tools/cling/CMakeLists.txt:101 (include):
include could not find load file:
LLVMParseArguments
(I attach the files CMakeError.log and CMakeOutput.log)

This did not happen last week when the code version was 3.7. I’m sorry but I could not find where the problem is.

Can you give me some hints please.
Thank you. Kindest regards.
Flavio
CMakeOutput_log.txt (127 KB)
CMakeError_log.txt (21.4 KB)

Use the Ubuntu’s default gcc 4.8.4.

Hi,

[quote]I’m trying to pre-install cling (is this the correct procedure?).[/quote] No :slight_smile:. Cling (and the needed version of llvm and clang) comes bundled with ROOT. To install ROOT from source, follow the instruction at root.cern.ch/installing-root-source

Cheers,
Philippe.

Dear Pepe Le Pew and pcanal, thank you for your prompt help !

Yes, Pepe, I was already using gcc 4.8.4 (CMakeOutput_log.txt shows that).

Yes, pcanal, I tried that way (instruction at root.cern.ch/installing-root-source) . I gave the command :
cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/cern/root_v6.06.04 -DCMAKE_INSTALL_SYSCONFDIR=etc -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=RelWithDebInfo -DBUILD_SHARED_LIBS=ON -Dafdsmgrd=OFF /home/flavio/LOCAL_REPOSITORY/root_v6.06.04 >& /home/flavio/LOCAL_REPOSITORY/root_v6.06.04/root_v6.06.04_cmake.log

but at the end I got three errors like :
CMake Error: install(EXPORT “ROOTExports” …) includes target “Cling” which requires target “clingInterpreter” that is not in the export set.
for the targets “clingInterpreter” , “clingMetaProcessor” and “clingUtils” (please see attached root_v6.06.04_cmake_log.txt).

If I ignore them and proceed with the command
cmake --build . >& /home/flavio/LOCAL_REPOSITORY/root_v6.06.04/root_v6.06.04_cmake_build.log
the build crashes with the errors:
make[2]: *** [interpreter/llvm/src/lib/libLLVMTableGen.so] Error 1
make[1]: *** [interpreter/llvm/src/lib/TableGen/CMakeFiles/LLVMTableGen.dir/all] Error 2
(please see attached root_v6.06.04_cmake_build_log.txt)

So I’m I’m afraid I’m doing something else wrong.
I’ve downloaded the source “root_v6.06.04.source.tar.gz” from root.cern.ch/content/release-60604 . Is this the right repository ?

Thanks a lot once more.
Kindest regards.
Flavio
root_v6.06.04_cmake_build_log.txt (29.2 KB)
root_v6.06.04_cmake_log.txt (2.27 KB)

Hi all.

I would like to update the status of my trials.

First point.
It seems that the LLVM stuff version 3.9 now works. I downloaded it again today and the build script raw.githubusercontent.com/karie … r/clone.sh does not produce the mentioned error anymore.

Second point.
The error I mentioned when building root 6.04.04 (that is :
CMake Error: install(EXPORT “ROOTExports” …) includes target “Cling” which requires target “clingInterpreter” that is not in the export set.
)
disapprears when I do not use " -DBUILD_SHARED_LIBS=ON" , leaving the default . In this case the produced CMakeCache.txt contains:
//Build all libraries as shared libraries instead of static
BUILD_SHARED_LIBS:BOOL=OFF

Kindest regards.
Flavio

As already pointed out by Philippe, you cannot use your own versions of cling / llvm with ROOT 6.
ROOT 6 contains it’s own source code for there tools which is incompatible with any other versions (these tools are then automatically built when ROOT 6 is being built).

Dear Pepe and Philippe,

OK, now I got the point (sorry).
Thanks to your help I finally got my ROOT 6 installation working :smiley: :smiley:
Kindest regards,
Flavio