Build ROOT 4.0 on windows XP platform

Hello!
Trying to build ROOT on WinXP, I encountered the following problems:

• build win32 with cygwin and Visual C++ 6.0, no cernlibs - is OK.

• build win32 with cygwin and Visual C++ 6.0, with cernlibs - it complains that fl32 is not present. Any idea?

• build win32gdk with cygwin and VC++ 6.0 no cernlibs - gives errors:
    Errors are in compiling TGWin32.cxx (line 54) - “GdkDrawable undeclared identifier” and the same with many other Gdk objects.
    Is this because of VC++ 6.0 is not suitable for gdk?

On another computer, with VCToolkit:

• build win32 or win32gdk with cygwin and VCToolkit (last version) gives the same following error:
    \build\rmkdependent\cppsetup.c - cannot open include file ‘sehmap.h’ - no such file or directory
    Maybe I set something wrong, but I don’t know where to chek.
    ROOTSYS is in system variables.

Please give me some hints, on any of these problems.

Hi elixir,
not clear for me

or NOT? Which ROOT version?

Thanks. Regards. Valeriy

[quote=“elixir”]Hello!
Trying to build ROOT on WinXP, I encountered the following problems:

• build win32 with cygwin and Visual C++ 6.0, no cernlibs - is OK.

• build win32 with cygwin and Visual C++ 6.0, with cernlibs - it complains that fl32 is not present. Any idea?

• build win32gdk with cygwin and VC++ 6.0 no cernlibs - gives errors:
    Errors are in compiling TGWin32.cxx (line 54) - “GdkDrawable undeclared identifier” and the same with many other Gdk objects.
    Is this because of VC++ 6.0 is not suitable for gdk?

On another computer, with VCToolkit:

• build win32 or win32gdk with cygwin and VCToolkit (last version) gives the same following error:
    \build\rmkdependent\cppsetup.c - cannot open include file ‘sehmap.h’ - no such file or directory
    Maybe I set something wrong, but I don’t know where to chek.
    ROOTSYS is in system variables.

Please give me some hints, on any of these problems.[/quote]

This is all about building from ROOT sources version 4.00:
I tried to build with VC++ 6.0 and with VCToolKit (latest version); I tried to build for win32 and also for win32gdk; and I tried with and without cern option.
All of these done using cygwin (make utility from cygwin).

Of all these variants, the only succesfull built was for win32 platform, using VC++ 6.0 with no link to cernlibs.

• Trying to link cernlibs, it complains about missing fl32 linker.

• Trying to build with VCToolKit (both win32 and win32gdk platforms), I get an error about missing sehmap.h

• Trying to build for win32gdk with VC++ 6.0, it gives also errors (see first post).

All I need is to be able to link my own root applications with cernlibs, on WinXP.

Thanks!
Mihai Ion

As far as I know, the VCToolKit is not complete, it doesn’t contain headers and libraries needed to build Root.
In fact, it doesn’t contain platform SDK components…

About VC++6, it should work, try to do :
make distclean
./configure win32gdk
make

It works with VC++6 and VC++7 on NT4, 2000 and XP.
HTH,
Cheers,
Bertrand.

[quote]build win32 with cygwin and Visual C++ 6.0, with cernlibs - it complains that fl32 is not present. Any idea?
[/quote]
You need a fortran compiler (fl32) in order to build all the ROOT feature with cernlibs.

Cheers,
Philippe.

[quote=“bellenot_b”]About VC++6, it should work, try to do :
make distclean
./configure win32gdk
make

It works with VC++6 and VC++7 on NT4, 2000 and XP.
HTH,
Cheers,
Bertrand.[/quote]

Thanks… Actually, “make distclean” returns some errors. But it gives me the idea to try with a fresh copy of source tree and it works.

About the fortran copiler: is any fortran copiler suitable?
Best regards,
Mihai

Hi,

We have not tested with any other fortran compiler. However any compiler should be able to work (given the right set of flags).

Cheers,
Philippe