Build fails for ROOT 6.24.00 on MAC Big Sur with M1 Chip

Please read tips for efficient and successful posting and posting code

Dear experts,

I am trying to install ROOT from source following instructions from this link -

with the following
_ROOT Version: 6.24.00
_Platform: MAC OS Big Sur 11.2.3 (M1 Chip)
_COMPILER: 4.2.1

When I am running the build it complains about the file ‘tbb/enumerable_thread_specific.h’ as given below in the error (*). Could you please let me know how to fix this issue.

Thanks.

(*) -------------------------ERROR --------------------------

[ 47%] Generating G__Thread.cxx, …/…/lib/Thread.pcm
In file included from input_line_7:21:
/Users/abcd/Software/cernroot/build/include/ROOT/TReentrantRWLock.hxx:26:10: fatal error: ‘tbb/enumerable_thread_specific.h’ file not found
#include “tbb/enumerable_thread_specific.h”
^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Error: /Users/abcd/Software/cernroot/build/core/rootcling_stage1/src/rootcling_stage1: compilation failure (/Users/abcd/Software/cernroot/build/lib/libThreadbf4e9320d5_dictUmbrella.h)
make[2]: *** [core/thread/G__Thread.cxx] Error 1
make[1]: *** [core/thread/CMakeFiles/G__Thread.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

While we should be able to make ROOT compile on your Mac, if you don’t need a version compiled from sources it is probably quicker to use a prebuild 6.24 release. We have some instructions on how to install the pre-built binaries.

Ok, thank you. The prebuild version worked. I will use the this for now.

I had the same problem.

I’ve installed the precompiled binary but it’s been compiled for python2.7.
Is there a precompiled version that has been compiled for python3.x?

thanks, Graeme

As this is a different issue, please post the question as a new topic. This also makes it easier to find the topic for others.

Cheers,
Jakob

Hi,
I’m having the same issue on RedHatEnterprise 8.3. What can I do?
Root: 6.24.00
gcc: 8.3.1
python: 3.6.8

I needed to complile with -Dclad=OFF and -Dvdt=off since I have limited access to the outside
Georg

Hi George, this is again a totally different issue, please follow Jakob’s advise and open a new topic so it’s easier to follow! In your new topic, please explain what you’d like to do and what doesn’t work and what the error messages are - none of that is clear to me from your message :slight_smile: Thanks!

Let me also close this one as it seems to attract unrelated questions.