Best way to move data from LabView to ROOT

Hi there, I was wondering if there is a suggested way to move data from an external source, like LabView, to ROOT. I have a system that logs something like 30 variables at 1Hz (floats and ints), and I’d like to put them into a tree. I know that I can write a file with a header

Blah/f:ooga/i
3.14 16
3.15 17

etc, but is XML a better format for this? I was thinking XML would be better, because I could put human readable comments into the data logs as well, in case I wanted to go through them by hand, but I don’t know if there’s an easy way to dump xml tagged data to a tree. I realize I could also just write a separate log file with comments, but was more wondering how people do this.

I saw a discussion on this topic at:
root.cern.ch/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=2317&

May be Joao Pires has made some progress meanwhile.
See with him and keep us posted.

Rene

[quote=“brun”]I saw a discussion on this topic at:
root.cern.ch/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=2317&

May be Joao Pires has made some progress meanwhile.
See with him and keep us posted.

Rene[/quote]

I think one should separate the tasks to see the solution.

[ul]

1. You implied you can dump your data to XML file.

2. The later suggests you may have been in possession of the code to read it in back (without any LabView dependency) or capable to write such code

3. At this point I do not see any big problem to add to that code the capability to fill some C++ object of your custom C++ class (niether LabView nor ROOT dependency)

4. I see no problem then to apply ROOT to create RootCint C++ class dictinary and enjoy ROOT I/O

[/ul]