BadLength (poly request too large or internal Xlib length e

Hi,

I have a big rootfile (> 50 Mb) as to attach it, hope this description be enough to report my problem.

The file has ~5000 histograms (TH1D) in each directory and 4 similar directories in total. When TBrowsing the file into the desired directory the whole root session crashes (also the TBrowser instance) and the console prints only the following message

BadLength (poly request too large or internal Xlib length error) (XID: 102760706, XREQ: 116)

Means file is corrupted? / is the amount of histograms too big?

EDIT: The file is not corrupted since can be read from the comand line.

Thanks for any help,

Hernan.

Hi Hernan,

I see the problem. Trying to find a solution…

Cheers, Bertrand.

Hi Hernan,

This should be fixed now in svn trunk (rev. 39942). Could you try it and confirm if it works better now?

Cheers, Bertrand.

Thanks Bertrand, I’ll will check it and post the feedback.

Hi Bertrand,

I downloaded the modified version of TGFileBrowser.cxx from svn, and moved it to my root root/gui/gui/src/ directory to do the test. Is it possible to create the TGFileBrowser.o object alone or the dependencies require to recompile the whole ROOT distribtion?

Thanks.

Hi,

It depends on the way ROOT has been installed on your system. If you built it from source, just typing make in $ROOTSYS should take care of the dependencies (it should not rebuild too many libs, since no header file has changed).

Cheers, Bertrand.

Hi Bertrand,

the solution works perfectly. Now the large list of plots is split into subfolders, which is really practical when browsing. Am I right that histograms are grouped every fGroupSize(= 1000) Keys? Is there any conflict if I hardcode than number to a different one?

Great solution!

Hi,

You can change this value by changing the “[color=#0000FF]Browser.GroupView[/color]” entry value in $ROOTSYS/etc/system.rootrc, or in your own custom $HOME/.rootrc, if any.

Cheers, Bertrand.