BackFill in a TChain the TTrees so that they align in terms of branches

Dear all,
I want to understand how i can efficiently backfill some branches even if missing in a TChain or using RDataFrame.

Let’s say i have
TTree 1 ,
TTree 2

and Tree 1 contains branch “A, C” but Tree 2 “B, C” ,
I do add them in a random order, and i want to enforce Tree 1 to have B ==1 always, and in Tree1 have C==1 always
Is there a “trick-a-posteriori” to achieve this or i am forced to go back to the basic tuples level and Define dummy values so that the TChain can be used correctly?
Thanks in advance

_ROOT Version: 6.18
Platform: Not Provided
Compiler: Not Provided

Hi @RENATO_QUAGLIANI,

I am not sure I understood your problem. Could you please elaborate a bit more on the issue (and perhaps attach a code excerpt)?

Cheers,
J.

Hi @jalopezg the question concerns the possibility to backfill a TChain.
I am sure many people encountered this use case

Let’s say you have 2 Tfiles with 2 Ttrees in
They do match 90percent of the branches but one of the 2 Tfiles have 10 extra branches. You want to then treat the Tchain of the 2 Ttrees and cut over 1 of the extra branch you have in the second Ttree.

You have 2 options generally :
Fix the ntuples inconsistency a priori and align the branches naming schemes, for example adding dummy branches being alway true or false (or a default double/float) value.
Or try to patch it a posteriori telling the Tchain to backfill with some default value the TTrees missing the branch.

I don’t have an example unfortunately. I hope I have been clearer now.

Hi @RENATO_QUAGLIANI,

Yes, your issue is much clearer now. Unfortunately, I never faced that issue myself, but I am sure @pcanal can suggest something here.

Cheers,
J.

In TTree::Draw you can use Alt$(B,1) to obtain the desired result (i.e. use the column B if it exists and the value 1 otherwise). @eguiraud might remember the syntax (if any) for RDataFrame.

I’m afraid RDataFrame is built around the assumption of a fixed schema, it doesn’t support branches that materialize only at some point of the TChain.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.