Avoiding screen flicker: Does ROOT have blitting capability?

[quote]I tried to utilize the fact that there are overlaps between frames - see my earlier post - this worked fine for the 100k ttree I posted, but for real data (millions of records) the frame rate rapidly decayed to something unusable.
[/quote]This is not quite what I had in mind :slight_smile: but give the ROOT code it would still present the binning artefact.
What happens is that when you draw into a new histogram, for better output we actually display a TGraph or TPolyMarkerxx of the actual data instead of the histogram data. However there is no way to prevent the re-creation of the TGraph (TPolyMarker) object. This creation (as opposed to reuse) of the object seems to be the source of the flickering.

Olivier, could you take a look if anything could be done to improve the situation?

Thanks,
Philippe

Philippe,

Seems to me the example I sent to Ed and the improved version he did are the best we can do to not have flickering with no binning effect. I do not think that the TGraph re-creation is the reason why the process slows down (may be I am wrong). My feeling is that it just takes more time to draw more markers.

Concerning animated gifs, I do not think they can be displayed in a ROOT canvas.

Olivier