Any way to have ROOT's builtin stack trace use seperated debug information?

I’m trying to make the ROOT package from Nixpkgs print debug information with more details (i.e. line numbers) by building with the -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=RelWithDebInfo CMake flag.

The default behavior of the build tools would strip away the debug information. To keep it, one could either instruct the builder to put it separately (seperateDebugInfo = true), or not to strip at all (dontStrip = true). The size of the separated debug information is ~500MB, but the size increase when not stripping turns out to be ~1.5GB. It’s clearly more efficient to strip the debug information.

So, is there a way to instruct the ROOT to make use of separated debug information when showing the stack trace? Or even better, is there a way to instruct it to use debuginfod?

Here’s the PR trying to change the Nixpkgs root package:

ROOT Version: 6.26.10
Platform: NixOS x86_64-linux
Compiler: gcc

Hello @shamrocklee ,

please note that the nix package is not maintained by the ROOT team.
In principle as long as gdb (the GNU debugger) can find the debug symbols, then ROOT’s stacktraces should be fine (afaik ROOT uses gdb to print those stacktraces). Does gdb find the separated debug info?

Cheers,
Enrico

1 Like

I know it.

That’s great! I’ll try it out.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.