Alpha particle with GEANT4 and GARFIELD

Hello,
I would like to simulate ionization induced by an alpha particle of about 1 MeV in a gas volume and the avalanche of the ionization electrons. I see two options:

1. Generate alpha track with Heeds, and then AvalacheMicroscopic, but it seems Heeds does not support alpha
  2. Combine GEANT4 and GARFIELD. I started from the example in
    Garfield/Examples/Geant4GarfieldInterface, but I have the following runtime error:
    -------- EEEE ------- G4Exception-START -------- EEEE -------
    *** G4Exception : Analysis_F001
    issued by : G4GenericAnalysisManager::OpenFileImpl
    Cannot open file “Garfield”.
    Please, use a file name with an extension or define the default file type
    via G4AnalysisManager::SetDefaultFileType()
    *** Fatal Exception *** core dump ***
    **** Track information is not available at this moment
    **** Step information is not available at this moment

-------- EEEE -------- G4Exception-END --------- EEEE -------

Any suggestion on which is the best way to go, and what’s the reason of the runtime error?
Thanks and best regards
Anna

Dear @acorsi ,

From a very rough looking at what you report, I see

Cannot open file “Garfield”.

So maybe there’s some file missing for the tutorial to work? Other than that, maybe @hschindl can help you better.

Cheers,
Vincenzo

Hi,
the runtime error should be have been fixed by this merge request (from yesterday):

Can you do a git pull and try again?

Heed is indeed not suitable for alphas. You could try the SRIM/TRIM interface:
https://garfieldpp.web.cern.ch/garfieldpp/examples/srim/

or indeed adapt the G4/Garfield++ example…

Indeed the runtime error disappeared, thanks! Now I can run up to the filling of the Garfield.root file. But just after I see a segfault, and the tree in garfield.root is empty.
Anna

### CAUGHT SIGNAL: 11 ### address: 0x0,  signal =  SIGSEGV, value =   11, description = segmentation violation. Unknown segmentation fault error: 0.

Backtrace:
[PID=90446, TID=-1][0/5]> 0   libdyld.dylib                       0x00007fff73260692 dyld_stub_binder + 282
[PID=90446, TID=-1][1/5]> 1   libG4analysis.dylib                 0x00000001098cb4d0 _ZN22G4ThreadLocalSingletonI24G4GenericAnalysisManagerED2Ev + 32
[PID=90446, TID=-1][2/5]> 2   libsystem_c.dylib                   0x00007fff7330b13c __cxa_finalize_ranges + 319
[PID=90446, TID=-1][3/5]> 3   libsystem_c.dylib                   0x00007fff7330b412 exit + 55
[PID=90446, TID=-1][4/5]> 4   libdyld.dylib                       0x00007fff73261cd0 start + 8

Hmm… no idea… Is this the G4/Garfield example out-of-the-box or did you make some changes?

Yes, out of the box…
For the precision, the tree is empty but the histogram are filled in the output root file.
Anna

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. On which platform are you running?

Hello, it is MacOS Catalina.
Anna

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.