Aliroot and geant3 cannot find rootcint and root-config

I’m trying to install root and AliRoot on SUSE linux 9.1. I can get root in without any problems but when I try gmake on AliRoot or Geant3 I get “command not found” errors for rootcint and root-config respectively. I can find both of these commands in the $ROOTSYS/bin directory. I know that to get the program to look in the right spot that the PATH in the environment variables has to have the ROOTSYS/bin in it but mine dose.
Here are the variables I have tried.

From root.cern.ch/root/Install.html

export ROOTSYS=/home/alisoft/root
export PATH=$ROOTSYS/bin:$PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$ROOTSYS/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

From aliweb.cern.ch/offline/

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:$ROOTSYS/lib
export PATH=$PATH:$ROOTSYS/bin
export ALICE=/home/alisoft
export ALICE_LEVEL=aliroot
export ALICE_ROOT= $ALICE/$ALICE_LEVEL
export ALICE_TARGET=linux or Linux
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$ALICE/geant3/lib/tgt_${ALICE_TARGET}:$ALICE_ROOT/lib/tgt_${ALICE_TARGET}:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export PATH=$PATH:$ALICE_ROOT/bin/tgt_${ALICE_TARGET}

From bo.infn.it/alice/alice-doc/m … node4.html

export ROOTDIR=/home/alisoft/root
export ALICE=/home/alisoft
export ALICE_LEVEL=aliroot
export ALICE_ROOT=$ALICE/$ALICE_LEVEL
export ALICE_TARGET=linux
export PATH=$PATH:$ALICE_ROOT/bin/tgt_$ALICE_TARGET:$ROOTSYS/bin
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$ROOTSYS/lib
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:$ALICE_ROOT/lib/tgt_${ALICE_TARGET}

I’ve tried all of these, and some combos of them, and none of them seem to work (and I am rebooting the computer after I change them)

Peter

Have you tried typing “rootcint” to see if it executes?

rootcint
Usage: rootcint [-v][-v0-4] [-f] [out.cxx] [-c] file1.h[+][-][!] file2.h[+][-][!]
…[LinkDef.h]
For more extensive help type: rootcint -h

Did you manually check your path to see if it was appending $ROOTSYS apropriately?

echo $PATH

/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/opt/bin:/usr/i486-pc-linux-gnu/gcc-bin/3.2:/usr/X11
R6/bin:/opt/blackdown-jdk-1.4.1/bin/usr/qt/3/bin:/usr/kde/3.1/bin:/usr/qt/2/bin:/opt/smalltalk/4.1.4/bin:/home/jason/java/Groovy
/groovy-1.0-beta-1/bin:/usr/java/j2sdk1.5.0/bin:/home/jason/root/bin

You should notice pretty quick of something is wrong, like $ROOTSYS wasn’t defined when you exported the alteration to your PATH.

If your root bin directory is confirmed to be in your PATH at this point, either rootcint doesn’t exist in this path, or it isn’t executable. Try

ls $ROOTSYS/bin/rootcint
/home/jason/root/bin/rootcint

Now that we’ve confirmed rootcint is indeed in the PATH, that it exists in the $ROOTSYS/bin directory-- the only thing that could be wrong at this point is that the file is not executable or access isn’t allowed to your user.

chmod +x $ROOTSYS/bin/rootcint

Repeat this for root-config.

Try typing rootcint again to see if it executes.

If all else fails, just emacs the Makefile that was produced and enter the full path manually.

-Jason Thomas.,