Advice to improve code execution time

Dear RDF fans,

I am building a large dictionary of C++ analysers/algorithms that I can then continently load in ROOT and call from pyROOT to define my RDF graph.

Nevertheless I am pretty sure some part of the code would deserve to be re-written, for example to have a proper class so that the instantiation only happens once.

With this email, and before I start trying too many random things, I would like to know what would be the recommended good practices to chase inefficient code blocks in RDF (if such thing exist of course).

Best,
Clement

Hi @clementhelsens ,
assuming that your application is not bound by I/O, we can certainly play a bit with performance optimization.

First of all, make sure that the C++ code is compiled with optimizations and debug symbols. If you compile it with ACLiC, you can explicitly ask for optimizations with +Og. If you compile manually, make sure that the -O2 -g compilation flags are passed.

At that point you can profile you application with perf, e.g. with perf record -F99 ./your_app and then check which functions take time with perf report.

In v6.24 you can also activate verbose RDF logging by adding this line at the beginning of the program:

auto verbosity = ROOT::Experimental::RLogScopedVerbosity(ROOT::Detail::RDF::RDFLogChannel(), ROOT::Experimental::ELogLevel::kInfo);

(the Python equivalent should be the same with . instead of :: as usual).
That will give you precise timings of the RDF event loop and of the time RDF spends just-in-time compiling “stuff” – if the latter is too high, there are tricks to reduce it.

Maybe we can start from these and see how it goes. I can also take a look at your application in case it’s possible to set it up and run it on my system.

Cheers,
Enrico

Thanks @eguiraud , I will give it a try as soon as possible.
Let me write here the procedure to build a debug version for you but also for my own memory.

git clone https://github.com/HEP-FCC/FCCAnalyses.git 
cd  FCCAnalyses

source /cvmfs/sw.hsf.org/spackages2/key4hep-stack/2021-06-17/x86_64-centos7-gcc8.3.0-dbg/z6n4fqccr3gazbnycezoio5dyt2gqgho/setup.sh

export PYTHONPATH=$PWD:$PYTHONPATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$PWD/install/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export ROOT_INCLUDE_PATH=$PWD/install/include/FCCAnalyses:$ROOT_INCLUDE_PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=`python -m awkward.config --libdir`:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

mkdir build install
cd build
cmake .. -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=../install -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=RelWithDebInfo
make install
cd ..

then you can run like:

python examples/FCCee/flavour/Bc2TauNu/analysis_stage1.py p8_ee_Zbb_Bc2TauNu_stage1.root /eos/experiment/fcc/ee/generation/DelphesEvents/spring2021/IDEA/p8_ee_Zbb_ecm91_EvtGen_Bc2TauNuTAUHADNU/events_003907469.root

to run over one file, or like:

python examples/FCCee/flavour/Bc2TauNu/analysis_stage1.py p8_ee_Zbb_Bc2TauNu_stage1.root "/eos/experiment/fcc/ee/generation/DelphesEvents/spring2021/IDEA/p8_ee_Zbb_ecm91_EvtGen_Bc2TauNuTAUHADNU/events_03*.root"

to run over more files. I granted you read access to /eos/experiment/fcc/ee/

With this key4hep debug setup, we already have root v6.24, so I could try you nice suggestion.

Cheers,
Clement

Alright, I’ll put in on my to-do list to run these two workloads and check if I see something weird.

Note that for performance tests you want -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=RelWithDebInfo instead of Debug.

Hi @clementhelsens ,
did you manage to find out what needs optimizing exactly (if anything)?

I am trying to set this up on my workstation but I don’t manage to load sw.hsf.org from CVMFS, can you suggest what configuration I need?

Cheers,
Enrico

sorry @eguiraud , I did not found time to further investigate this. From any lxplus machine log in I can see this cvmfs repo mounted. I guess your workstation is within EP-STF ? if so maybe the system administrator could have a look and mount it? Last week on some machines to mount got stuck and IT had to do it again, maybe same thing is happing for you?
Cheers,
Clement

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.